VBO or display list?

Started by
2 comments, last by L. Spiro 11 years, 9 months ago
Hi,

Fisrt of all this is not just about comparing the 2 tech but also about what I'm going to do.

My purpose is to make a minecraft Clone, each chunk is like mojang cut into 16 display list, when a player remove or add a block then this display list is being re-rendered.

My question is, is it more advantageous to use display list rather than VBO?

From my understanding Displaylist uses CPU power and VBO uses GPU power.
And nowaday we tend to use portable laptop with high end CPU and a lot of ram but with a very low end GPU.

what do you think?
Thanks.
Advertisement
Who is this mysterious "we" who tends to use portable laptops with weak GPUs to play games? Certainly I'm not part of that group. The Steam hardware survey would tend to suggest that relatively few gamers belong to that group.

That being said, display lists were deprecated at the release of GL 3.1, which was a few years ago. I recommend you use VBOs.
I think the best way is to include both of these render techniques and let the player the choice to use Display Lists or VBOs according to the capabilities of his hardware.

I never used Display Lists but I can tell you that if VBO calls and updates are optimised, it ensure good perfs, even on chipset GPUs.
Sorry if the english said in this post was too approximative : It is not my native language.
There is no contest.
Use VBO’s if you care about performance. Display lists are as slow as they get.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement