Geometry!

Started by
10 comments, last by Krohm 11 years, 9 months ago
I am not sure what you are "disegreeing" with. He was asking about prerequisites. Do you think you need to know anything besides Linear Algebra to understand basic collision detection techniques? Then he is ready to learn. If there are more advanced techniques that require more knowledge, this may motivate him to learn those things. Or perhaps he'll get a flavor for the subject and decide that he doesn't need to understand every single technique out there.

To the OP: Don't allow Krohm's ominous list of techniques discourage you. You should learn some basic techniques to get you going (e.g., how to detect if two shapes of certain types intersect (segment-triangle, triangle-triangle, sphere-sphere...) and SAT for basic polyhedral shapes) and then you'll be in a position to learn pretty much anything you need. I wouldn't worry too much about prerequisites. Learn as you have to.
Advertisement
Of course not. I am not trying to discourage anybody.
But let's not hide ourselves behind words. Saying that one is ready to learn collision detection after understanding dot product is like saying one is ready to build a nuclear plant after he got the grasps of steel works or concrete buildings. I think your previous statement has a lot of potential to be misunderstood and I wanted to tone it down on purpose.

But if we want to hide ourselves behind words then let's say the truth: there's no prerequisite to start learning but will.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement