Which Flash SDK to use

Started by
2 comments, last by krippy2k8 11 years, 8 months ago
Hello all

I am an entry level C++ game developer, and I decided I want to switch over to Flash. C++ is awesome, but I love the fact that Flash Games are so easy to share, and I really want to try my hand on a new platform.

Which SDK is the best one to start learning the language. I am completely new to Flash so I am only looking to do some Hello World, and other ridiculously simple programs. But I still want the best development environment that would I could eventually use to develop games. If I have to pay for it, that is not a problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated smile.png

C.

My Projects: - www.repulse.com

Advertisement
Assuming you mean which IDE not which SDK ... Use FlashDevelop. It's free and works well for people who are approaching Flash from a computer programming background rather than a graphic design background.
You would use Flex in order to compile for free, and there is an option to automatically download/install it when you install the Flash Develop IDE. You can also compile with the flash authoring software, but I don't recommend that IDE for programming as it's horrible in comparison.

But as the previous poster mentioned, sounds like you are talking about an IDE.

There are a few out there, the free one - Flash Develop is actually a really good IDE and I would definitely recommend it.

Adobe has Flash Builder and there is another one called FDT and neither are free.

There are a few others out there, and I would recommend googling "Actionscript IDE" or something like that. I know there are quite a few, but the ones I suggested are quite popular.
Just to throw a curve ball, you could also look into Adobe Flash Premium and Adobe Alchemy, which will allow you to develop high-performance Flash applications using C++.

It's free as long as your revenues are below $50k, then they will hammer you for 9% of net revenues above 50k.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement