• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ZachBethel

Unexpected behavior with ALT-TAB in Fullscreen Mode (DXGI)

This topic is 2184 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am setting my DirectX11 application to run in fullscreen mode when I create the swap chain. This works fine until I ALT-TAB to minimize. All it does is undo the fullscreen mode and place the window in the background (i.e. not minimized, just a background window). Maximizing the window or refocusing the window doesn't cause it to switch back to fullscreen mode. Does DXGI expect me to do something that I'm not? I've read the MSDN documentation online and it doesn't explain how to handle this case.

Thanks. Edited by ZBethel

Advertisement
ALT-TAB doesn't minimise anything. It simply swaps focus from one window to another.

If that other window isn't using fullscreen mode, Windows HAS to go into non-fullscreen mode - it has no choice.

When your app gets foreground status it's up to you to do whatever is necessary (ie switching back to fullscreen mode).

Yeah, coming from DirectX 9.0 and Windows XP, I'm pretty sure ALT-TAB would always minimize a fullscreen application no matter what. The behavior I described seems normal, and I've reproduced it on other games.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!