• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Quat

DX11 MSAA Deferred Renderer

This topic is 2182 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know with DX11, it is possible to have proper MSAA with a deferred renderer, but I am wondering how realistic this is in practice with current tech. My main concern is GPU memory for 4X MSAA, if all my render targets are 4X bigger.

I have a big dev monitor (2560x1600), so one fullscreen 32-bit render target weighs in at 16MB. So 4X ups it to 64MB.

I have 32-bit normal buffer, 32 bit diffuse albedo buffer, 32-bit spec albedo buffer, 32-bit depth/stencil buffer, 32-bit copy of depth/stencil buffer (for reading from shader since I need to support DX10), 64-bit HDR light accumulation buffer, fullscreen refraction map. This does not count buffers for CSM, SSAO, ToneMapping, etc.

Geforce 680 only has 2048MB, so with MSAA I am eating a huge percentage of that memory for MSAA. My monitor is above average size, but still.

Obviously I could support it for high-end systems, but I am wondering if I should devote my time to the older DX9 deferred rendering AA styles that used edge detection.

Do a lot of current AAA games not use MSAA for deferred rendering?

Advertisement
Dropping in something like FXAA will take you an hour or two. Seriously, it's that easy. So I don't think between MSAA and FXAA, instead your decision should be whether it's worth your time to implement MSAA in addition to FXAA. AAA games have shipped with deferred rendering + MSAA...Battlefield 3 is is the first one that comes to mind. A lot of AAA games have shipped on PC without MSAA support, particularly those that use DX9.

Looking at the Steam HW survey, most people don't go over 1920x1080 resolution. Which means your 2560x1600 is an abnormally high-end case to consider. MSAA at 1920x1080 should definitely be doable on a high-end GPU, even with a deferred renderer.

Personally I preffer the results of SMAA: http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/

But, really MJP is correct, there's no particular need for getting together MSAA in deffered renderer unless you really don't like aliasing. There was a paper, a recent paper, describing how to get the memory cost of MSAA in deffered down to something similar to a forward renderer, but unfortunately I can't seem to remember what it was called.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!