Are open pvp + full loot SANDBOX mmorpg's still possible?

Started by
78 comments, last by Inferiarum 11 years, 4 months ago
DayZ is in this niche, of sandbox MMO with the (arguably unfair) ability for "wolf" players to prey on "sheep" players. It also makes this really, really painful for the "sheep" by using a "perma-death" system.
There are private servers for "sheep" to hide on, but they get blacklisted and shut down.

You can say that this is no fun for the victims of unfair PvP ownage (and yes, it is an incredibly frustrating, painful and emotive game)... but the fact is that their player base has exploded from originally about 100 testers to (as of today) 856874 testers (and growing by about 10000/day), while still in a really buggy "Alpha test" state!

...Largely because no one else is attending to this niche market.
Advertisement

DayZ is in this niche, of sandbox MMO with the (arguably unfair) ability for "wolf" players to prey on "sheep" players. It also makes this really, really painful for the "sheep" by using a "perma-death" system.
There are private servers for "sheep" to hide on, but they get blacklisted and shut down.

You can say that this is no fun for the victims of unfair PvP ownage (and yes, it is an incredibly frustrating, painful and emotive game)... but the fact is that their player base has exploded from originally about 100 testers to (as of today) 856874 testers (and growing by about 10000/day), while still in a really buggy "Alpha test" state!

...Largely because no one else is attending to this niche market.

That mod seems fun but it's easily cheated.
Just google for cheats for that mod.. light hacks... aimbots.. remove any objects like trees that you can hide behind.

I wonder how that mod became so successful tho.. being perma death and open pvp.. doesnt make sense! :D

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1343221752' post='4962920']
I really don't understand why everyone can't play in a game like this... everyone has their role in a game like this.

As Samoth and SimonForsman mentioned above, it's not really fun for the victims. Why should I play on a PVP minecraft server if I just want to build a castle? I could build the same castle on a PVE server and not have to worry about some "wolf" coming around and flooding it with magma or murdering me while I build a wall. There's no benefit for me to expose myself like that.
[/quote]

Isn't minecraft in basics a survival game?
All sheep seem to love and enjoy playing the survival game against the monsters (npcs).
Same thing in Terraria.. and in terrarria there can even appear uber flying omgwtfbbq boss monsters that teleport into your base through all your walls and fart doom missiles out of their asses chasing you around... sheep love that... playing survival against monsters.
But if it's a player that tries to kill them they shut the game down lol.... I really don't understand how these players are thinking.
It's also more fun playing suvival against players because they're all unique.. thinking differently... doing things differently.. not like bots.
Some players are bad... some are good... I'm pretty sure that some sheep would even be able to kill the PK if he had the guts to defend himself :D
I would suggest letting sheep band together or hire others for protection at the cost of some resources. I would also suggest letting sheep make traps and whatnot everywhere at the cost of making resource-obtaining a little slower and more bothersome.
minecraft is a game with various game modes. ranging from survival to building to custom adventure.

the only thing you are proving in this thread is that you've a extremely closed mind.

people don't want to die for players without other option.

if you die to a monster, you asked for it. you exposed yourself to the monster knowing their power. it's entirely your fault.

if you die for a wolf, this wolf probably lured you. probably this wolf also has better weapons than you and you don't have any chance of knowing this wolf power.

players accept the outcome of their actions, but do not accept being killed just because a wolf wanted to kill him.

if you want a game like this, go play COD or DayZ. Let the sheeps play the game the way them enjoy.

after all, games are made to entertain.

minecraft is a game with various game modes. ranging from survival to building to custom adventure.

the only thing you are proving in this thread is that you've a extremely closed mind.

people don't want to die for players without other option.

if you die to a monster, you asked for it. you exposed yourself to the monster knowing their power. it's entirely your fault.

if you die for a wolf, this wolf probably lured you. probably this wolf also has better weapons than you and you don't have any chance of knowing this wolf power.

players accept the outcome of their actions, but do not accept being killed just because a wolf wanted to kill him.

If you mean power as in the strength of the character..
MOST games let you see how powerful it is.. by seeing what level it is.
If its a skillbased game you can get an idea by perhaps what armor he is wearing.
It's really depends on the game.
A lot of games you can see the armor he wears.. so you can know if its epics or garbage.
Also if there is a cap in lvl/skills then you know they cant be stronger than that.

If you mean how good the player is..
Then you are probably not good enough to fight him if you dont know.
Then you should think about surviving instead of defending.

and in terrarria and minecraft.. you can't choose to fight monsters..
It's a crafting/terraforming game where monsters come to fight you... you dont go and fight them.
Its not optional.
The only thing with the monsters is that you know 100% how they fight...every move they will make..etc.. you know you will win if you dont make a mistake.
And actually that's how I look at PvP too.. I look at other players the same way you look at monsters.

monsters = no challenge
Players = challenge

sheep dont like challenge?

All sheep seem to love and enjoy playing the survival game against the monsters (npcs).
Same thing in Terraria.. and in terrarria there can even appear uber flying omgwtfbbq boss monsters that teleport into your base through all your walls and fart doom missiles out of their asses chasing you around... sheep love that... playing survival against monsters.
But if it's a player that tries to kill them they shut the game down lol.... I really don't understand how these players are thinking.
It's also more fun playing suvival against players because they're all unique.. thinking differently... doing things differently.. not like bots.
Some players are bad... some are good... I'm pretty sure that some sheep would even be able to kill the PK if he had the guts to defend himself biggrin.png

Are you trolling glhf?
You need to recognise that there is a huge difference between playing (co-op) survival against AIs and players. The players know they're just having fun playing a game against AIs with little consequence, it's just how the game is played. But to know that there's players out there stalking you with malicious intent puts a certain amount of pressure on the player. Players that play games to relax and have fun don't enjoy that pressure.
If you add the ability to loot slain players that's going to drastically increase that pressure by adding consequences if they die.

If you're not trolling here's a more elaborate answer.
Reckon it could work if done right and you're willing to compromise; you can't have the cake and eat it at the same time.

Only MMO's I've played are WoW and EVE online. EVE comes rather close to what you describe in my head at least, aside from the full loot thing. In EVE it seems to be working because you can change roles, maybe not from the get-go, but given a bit of time you can simply swap between playing wolf and sheep. Also the items in the game are given less weight than say WoW and considerably more availability.
Should you lose you're gear you can buy new gear off the market, provided you have the money.

If you want full loot you'd have to go even further and reduce the weight and impact of gear and items and see to it that replacement items are relatively easy to come by. Absolutely no diablo-esque drop system that requires astronomical amounts of time to grind and farm random items. EVE does this by letting players massproduce items and sell on the market.
You'r confusing actual competitive gameplay like team fortress 2/ counter strike / league of legends with being a griefing dirtbag.

[quote name='glhf' timestamp='1343228546' post='4962950']
Some players are bad... some are good... I'm pretty sure that some sheep would even be able to kill the PK if he had the guts to defend himself biggrin.png

Are you trolling glhf?
You need to recognise that there is a huge difference between playing (co-op) survival against AIs and players. The players know they're just having fun playing a game against AIs with little consequence, it's just how the game is played. But to know that there's players out there stalking you with malicious intent puts a certain amount of pressure on the player. Players that play games to relax and have fun don't enjoy that pressure.
If you add the ability to loot slain players that's going to drastically increase that pressure by adding consequences if they die.

If you're not trolling here's a more elaborate answer.
Reckon it could work if done right and you're willing to compromise; you can't have the cake and eat it at the same time.

Only MMO's I've played are WoW and EVE online. EVE comes rather close to what you describe in my head at least, aside from the full loot thing. In EVE it seems to be working because you can change roles, maybe not from the get-go, but given a bit of time you can simply swap between playing wolf and sheep. Also the items in the game are given less weight than say WoW and considerably more availability.
Should you lose you're gear you can buy new gear off the market, provided you have the money.

If you want full loot you'd have to go even further and reduce the weight and impact of gear and items and see to it that replacement items are relatively easy to come by. Absolutely no diablo-esque drop system that requires astronomical amounts of time to grind and farm random items. EVE does this by letting players massproduce items and sell on the market.
[/quote]

The death penalty can be as big as the players can handle.
And in wow for example.. Like I said previously.. you dont HAVE to go outside town (guarded area) with the best gear in the game.. There's lots of gear you can buy in WoW AH.. you can stock up as much as you like. The better and less common the gear is the more expensive.. so it's the players choice if they want decent/weak armor so they don't lose as much when dying.. or good/powerful armor and also lose more if they die.

But in ultima online for example... what u lost on death was pretty cheap and easy to bulk up on.
tibia had really expensive gear but u only lost 1-3 equipment when you die along with everything in inventory... and some levels,skills etc.. much harsher than ultima online.
And still it was very popular game with 10+ servers and constant need to create new servers because so big population... until the sheep games came like WoW.
Then I'd say you should try out EVE online.
It's the only MMO that I know of that comes close to what you describe; it's like ultima by the sound of it.
It does'nt have no-pvp zones, but zones guarded by NPCs that discourages players from pvp, but if you're far enough away from the guards you can do hit-n-runs and be gone before the guards have time to respond.
But it's a sandbox game alright, and there are no servers with pve only since there is only one single but huge server where every player plays; sheeps and wolfs alike.
You can chose to play as the pirate, hunting for targets and ambushing lone miners or cargo transports and destroying player ships drops some of the equipment mounted on them, not all, so there's no full loot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement