Sign in to follow this  
MylesEvans

I need help linking SDL to visual studio 2010 express

I followed the instructions here http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/windows/msvsnet2010e/index.php. I did them over and over to make sure I wasn't missing anything, but apparently I am. I beginning to get extremely frustrated. These are the errors I am receiving.

'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\Myles\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\IDKANYMORE\Debug\IDKANYMORE.exe', Symbols loaded.
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\snxhk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\SDL.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winmm.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oleaut32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oleacc.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcr100.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\lpk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\usp10.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ddraw.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dciman32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ddraw.dll'
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll'
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dll'
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dciman32.dll'
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KBDUS.DLL', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KBDUS.DLL'
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KBDUS.DLL', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KBDUS.DLL'
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dsound.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\powrprof.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dinput.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\hid.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\wintrust.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\crypt32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msasn1.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\userenv.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\secur32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'IDKANYMORE.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imagehlp.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x14ec) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1354) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program '[3272] IDKANYMORE.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

I have no idea what they mean. I'm just trying to get lesson 1 of Lazy Foo Tutorials to work....

Those aren't 'errors' in the traditional sense. Those are all the modules your application is using. If you wanted to debug those modules you'd need the corresponding PDB file which contains the symbols (function/variable identifiers and their location in the assembly) for those modules. The module [i]you[/i] created [i]did[/i] load the symbols so you can debug your code if needed.

If you're having problems it's not because of anything you see in that window.

Lazy Foo's website is blocked by my work, but judging by the output you provided I can guess what's going on. The SDL tutorial probably doesn't do anything except call an SDL initialization function, check that the initialization succeeded, and if it did no succeed return an error code. Probably something like -1 or a constant with the ERROR. Otherwise at the end of the main function it returns 0. The otherwise is what's going on. This line:

The program '[3272] IDKANYMORE.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Means the program exited and returned 0.

Thats all the first tutorial does, init SDL and exit... if it compiles ( doesnt complain about errors ( may have warnings) ) then its fine, otherwise it will exit with a -1, the next tutorial will put an image onto the screen... Foo builds your bag of tricks over a number of lessons.
The first one is just making sure you got over the hurdle of setting include and libraries directories, setting the additional dependancies and ensuring you have the proper DLL's in your current projects directory.

This is the code for the first part of lesson 1 :

[CODE]
#include "SDL.h"
int main( int argc, char* args[] )
{
//Start SDL
SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING );
//Quit SDL
SDL_Quit();
return 0;
}
[/CODE]

The next part of that lesson will put up the images.

[CODE]
/*This source code copyrighted by Lazy Foo' Productions (2004-2012)
and may not be redestributed without written permission.*/
//Include SDL functions and datatypes
#include "SDL/SDL.h"
int main( int argc, char* args[] )
{
//The images
SDL_Surface* hello = NULL;
SDL_Surface* screen = NULL;
//Start SDL
SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_EVERYTHING );
//Set up screen
screen = SDL_SetVideoMode( 640, 480, 32, SDL_SWSURFACE );