Game company funding?

Started by
7 comments, last by arthursouza 11 years, 8 months ago
So out side of using Kickstarter LOL, What specific avenues are there to acquiring capital in order to start a small independent video game company?
J-GREEN

Greenpanoply
Advertisement
Depends...
Are you aiming platforms like android/iOS? or PC? or Xbox360?

I think Desura is a good place to start.
http://www.desura.com/development
Having a steady job on the side, for one thing. tongue.png

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

Business questions belong in the business forum, not in For Beginners (a technical forum).
The usual funding source for a raw startup is FFF (friends, family, fools). The way most successful startups begin is with a founder (or cofounders) with industry experience and some savings.
Read FAQ 29 - http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm
And of course there are other crowdfunding sources besides Kickstarter.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Also don't forget other standard ways of starting a business. Obtain a bank loan, approach an investment company etc. We may have moved into a digital investment world with things like Crowdfunding but that does not mean that old ways can't still be utilised.
In my area, the government (Canada) is fairly supportive, but they don't quite have the time and management to help.
They've delegated that help to organisms that are there to facilitate entry.

I've attended the "CLD" presentation myself a few weeks back.

They offer
- Support (Mentors from the industry available, and helping you out during the startup)
- Financial (They have a partnership with the government which comes both in cash and grants)
- One-time worker support (more below)

Depending on the project scope, they can get you something between:
0 - 10 000$ cash
5 000 - 150 000$ grant
Also, once during your lifetime, they can award you a base salary for a duration of 9 months as though you were employed.

Of course, disregard if you aren't from Canada (which your profile does not say) ;)
wow Canada sounds like the best place on earth lol. In America all we have are friends, family, and fools? apparently. Oh and banks that more then often want everything for nothing. So friends, fools, and crowdfunding it is lol.

thanks for the help you guys. rolleyes.gif

and thanks for moving this to the right forum.
J-GREEN

Greenpanoply

wow Canada sounds like the best place on earth lol

Be aware that most financing comes with regulations, so its hard to keep your project unaltered. And they're picky, just not as much as a bank ;)

Good luck!

wow Canada sounds like the best place on earth lol. In America all we have are friends, family, and fools? apparently. Oh and banks that more then often want everything for nothing. So friends, fools, and crowdfunding it is lol.

thanks for the help you guys. rolleyes.gif

and thanks for moving this to the right forum.

If you think that getting funding in the US is hard try to get a startup running in Brazil.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement