Sign in to follow this  

Can someone tell me the basics

This topic is 1969 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, im about to start a web and game design course at college and am very interested in making games. The only thing is i dont have a clue where to start, i dont know much about making games and was just wondering what kind of software/development tools and code/language i should use. It all seems really daunting at the moment but my biggest passion in life is games so why not give it a go.
Any help would be appreciated, i love skyrim, MW3 ect.
Thanks.

[quote name='trainspotter837' timestamp='1343301871' post='4963255']
i dont have a clue where to start, i dont know much about making games and was just wondering what kind of software/development tools and code/language i should use.
[/quote]

Read these:
http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=rules&f=31
http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx

id say download unity 3d and folow a few tutorials(very easy when someone is there telling you what to do), they have some on their site and theres always YT.

you might write a few simple scripts, learn how to light, how general tools work that are used in alot of engines, brushes, skyboxes, how to create a first person view, 3rd person also. creating and parenting objects, setting values etc etc...

should shine a little light on how designing a game goes about. from there the college should take care of the rest.

This topic is 1969 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.