Sign in to follow this  

Installer with customizable look

This topic is 1959 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[b]EDIT:[/b]
I found something promising, a [b]plugin[/b] that works for both, [b]NSIS[/b] and [b]InnoSetup[/b], which allows customizing everything but the title bar, by the looks of it.
For NSIS, it includes a plugin for the HM NIS Edit, which many people seem to use for NSIS script coding. There's said to be a wizard for clicking stuff together instead manual script writing, haven't tried it yet.

[url="http://www.graphical-installer.com/joomla/index.php/purchase"]http://www.graphical-installer.com/joomla/index.php/purchase[/url]

The princing policy sounds pretty fair: Commercial: 49 EUR for one product, meaning you can release as many updates as you like with that license.
Non-commercial: pay 2 bucks or more if you like.

A 30 day trial is available for 2 EUR (I guess they charge to get anything at all from cheaters, it sounded as if they don't have an enforcement mechanism, haven't tried it, though)

---------------------
Hey,

I'm looking for an installer software, for a sane price, which allows to customize the look of the forms, buttons etc. (basically I just need background images on them).

For now, it's just for Windows. Mac support may be looked at... in a while, perhaps.

So far, I've looked into free stuff for windows:

- NSIS + SkinCrafter-NSIS-plugin, which together seems very unreliable and (the plugin) is apparently no longer maintained since 2010, while even the support threads back then gave only mildy helpful answers about some problems...
Their latest demo of the plugin with pre-compiled sample.exe didn't even work as supposed...
- InnoSetup + supposedly (stated on their web site) free ISSkin plugin & editor, which turns out to be a 99.99% crippled program, so: middle finger to them for pulling that on people and wasting their time, I'd not buy it even if it cost $3.99 now.

Both, but especially InnoSetup, seem really nice as such, if it just weren't for the lack of custom look...

Then I found a commercial one that cost several 1000 $, which is out of the question, for the little program we want to use the installer for (we don't usually release PC software, and this is just a little utility which should have the "corporate look", including the installer).

Know any better alternatives?
- unshaven Edited by UnshavenBastard

NSIS without any plugins can't be gotten to display background images? -- that surprises me.

Or are you looking for a fully skinned non-rectangular window?

Edit: Just re-read your post ... you want background images on [i]buttons,[/i] meaning I assume skinned buttons -- yeah, it probably can't do that.

Basically you have two options:

1. Use NSIS or something like it and lower your expectations about how much you are going to be able to customize its look and feel.

2. Write the installer from scratch to the Win32 API ... which depending on how complicated the installer is and how comfortable you are with Windows programming may actually not be that big a deal. Edited by jwezorek

[quote name='jwezorek' timestamp='1343340852' post='4963447']
NSIS without any plugins can't be gotten to display background images? -- that surprises me.

Or are you looking for a fully skinned non-rectangular window?

Edit: Just re-read your post ... you want background images on [i]buttons,[/i] meaning I assume skinned buttons -- yeah, it probably can't do that.

Basically you have two options:

1. Use NSIS or something like it and lower your expectations about how much you are going to be able to customize its look and feel.

2. Write the installer from scratch to the Win32 API ... which depending on how complicated the installer is and how comfortable you are with Windows programming may actually not be that big a deal.
[/quote]

Well, doing all the work myself was not the plan ^^ And I'm not too well versed with Win32 API, and don't really intend to change that, because it's a pretty awful "API", and the necessity to directly use it luckily has become pretty rare for most people. (I sometimes used parts of it, but far from being an expert).

[b]Note to anyone following this[/b]: I have found a promising plugin, and will update the first post in a minute.

This topic is 1959 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.