putting clothes on animated sprites

Started by
3 comments, last by scrap 11 years, 8 months ago
we are animating the sprites with frames, like a movie, 1 frame=around .5 seconds for our animation. the animation makes it look like hes walking. i am wondering how to make the sprite able to have differnt clothes on, by just switching them them real fast in game, and have the same animation work on the sprite that looks differnt, without having to animate every differnt combination of clothes.
Advertisement
Layering. You animate each article of clothing, or set if they aren't mix-n-match-able. Then you layer the animated articles of clothing (in other words, the sprite sheet for the article of clothing) over the walking base avatar. If there are only a few sets or combinations, you can flatten the layers ahead of time in each possible combination. If there are many combinations you need to use a program (e.g. imagemagick) to flatten them when the player saves their clothing choices.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

If I understand what you're saying then the below should work.

Create a 3D rig to match the 2D sprite animation (frame rate and all).

Simulate the clothes over the animated rig then render out the 3D clothes from the same angle as the 2D sprites.

Composite the 2D sprite into the clothes and re-render the animation.
I'm confused where a 3D rig entered the conversation - wouldn't 3D clothes on a 2D sprite look weird? But I guess what you describe would work.

What I actually meant was, have a sprite sheet of a nude person doing all needed animations. On a transparent layer above that is a sprite sheet for pants, conforming to all the lower-body animations. Then on a transparent layer above that is a sprite sheet for a shirt, conforming to all the upper-body animation. The bottom of the shirt probably covers up the top of the pants. You can switch one shirt for another or one pants for another (or a kilt, etc.) to have different combinations. This is a standard 2D paperdoll system.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

thanks guys! i have no idea what any of this means i was asking for my artist, so i just copy pasted alot of the info to him. should help him alot! thanks again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement