what should i learn

Started by
7 comments, last by Eris 11 years, 8 months ago
Okay well im 15 and currently in highschool and im wanting to go in to college and become a game developer or a programmer and im asking 2 questions

1.what field(s) would I go into at college
2. What code or whatever should I start learning now
I already know basic html and some javascript I am learning from
Www.w3schools.com
Is that a good place to learn
Advertisement
First I would see if there are any programming classes at your high school. My school had AP Computer Science that covered Java. Also take as many math classes as you can. They'll come in handy. I would take a look at Sloperama. Even though it's designed mainly for aspiring game designers you can certainly use the advice as a programmer.

I'm in the same boat as you but a couple years ahead since I'll be a senior this year. You still have a few years until college. I would try game development and see whether that's really the field you want to go into since you have time to decide what you want to do. You may find that you don't actually want to go into game programming or even programming at all. You might find you enjoy physics, mathematics, political science, or some other field entirely that you want to pursue. What I'm really trying to say is don't limit yourself by saying "I want to be a game programmer" now and miss opportunities to experience other subjects.

If you find you really do want to go into programming or just want to check your options the usually recommended path would be to go to school for Computer Science. You can go to game schools that will teach game programming specifically but you might miss out on general programming. This link will help you too.

Right now you can pursue pretty much anything you want. If you've never had any programming experience many people here will advise you to start off with Python or maybe C#. I started in Java and have had good experiences with that. This is a very good read and can help you assess your options. One thing to emphasize again would be to not start in C++. Before you go headlong into trying game development I think you should learn the language. After you are competent with the language you can begin making simple games and progress into more advanced games. Good luck on your journey!

David
Looking back I think pure math as a college choice wouldn't be a bad idea for your goal. Programming in and by itself can really be learned on your own from online sources and books. If you have the mathematical inclination then it won't even be the hardest thing you'll learn.
Okay thanks guys so python would be good to start?
Python would be a great place to start
If you're sure you want to be a programmer in particular regardless of specialization Computer Science is definitely the degree to aim for. It's good that you want to start learning early, honestly learning programming is pretty quick and easy, mastering it is the hard part.

A lot of programming comes down to simply doing things until you have it engraved into your mind the many different ways to approach problems and tools and libraries you can use to throw at your problems. One thing I would say is to make sure you pay attention to the things you read, a lot of the most innocent looking information you learn is what helps you plan out your projects later on.
The Fact that you want to go to college to study games development is the first thing you have done right about your aspirations. Well, truth speaking, I don't think that you need to concern yourself as much about what field you want to go to now...as it is, the games development school you go to will help you make that decision after they teach you some introductory concepts for all the possible fields. Still, you can take a look at this resource to get some more in-depth insight on the same:

http://nzgamer.com/ps3/features/1117/learning-to-make-games-at-media-design-school.html

As for the programming language, I think that it is only important to learn about concepts that are similar to all programming languages. Don't concern yourself so much with a specific language for now. Just take Javascript, C++, or whatever other language you like for now and try implementing some examples that will help you understand how any programming language works (lots of tutorials for that online). And by the way, w3schools is an awesome place to do the learning!
Thanks guys
W3Schools, unfortunately, is not a good choice for learning anything (unless it's how to provide false information). There's an entire website dedicated to exposing its faults: http://www.w3fools.com/

Look to that link for a list of reputable learning materials.

If you plan on studying software development in college, then it would be better to learn Python over HTML and Javascript. Python is usually the recommendation that gets handed out to beginners. If you do choose to learn Python, then a great place to start would be with Al Sweigart's "Invent Your Own Computer Games with Python" and "Making Games with Python and Pygame". (Click here.) The download links for both PDFs are in the sidebar.

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement