game structuring software

Started by
2 comments, last by Cornstalks 11 years, 8 months ago
i have looked around and found none, and was wondering if anyone knows of any free software that aids in game development. not an engine. a program that helps organize and plan aspects of the game before its created. something everyone on the team can access and modify, put in sound tracks, 3d models they think could work, code snippets etc. and everyone can view and discuss.

hope i got the point across good, thanks!
Advertisement
You are moving into the area of "analysis and design" here. There are many methods that can help a lot, for example UML.

My favorite is to start with defining use cases, creating requirements from these, and then begin the architecture and high level design from these requirements.

There are many applications that help you with UML, and similar methods. The most simple ones are really only a specialized drawing tool, but even that can help a lot. The advanced ones will actually create the software "automatically" for you.
[size=2]Current project: Ephenation.
[size=2]Sharing OpenGL experiences: http://ephenationopengl.blogspot.com/
you could of just put the letters UML! haha, just adding those letters in my search shines many lights on my path! one that would just help with organizing instead of have an online DOC like Google docs and have me type how everything is going to look and act and work can get very confusing! :) thank you
Four things come to mind:

1. lucidchart.com: This was made, if I recall correctly, by our very own BeanDog (and in my home city too), so I like promoting this one. But aside from the connections, this site is actually great, as it has the UML and flowchart goodness that really helps in organizing, planning, and structuring a program, plus a free Pro account for students. I use it for my programming and writing (as in literary stuff) projects/homework.
  2. Revision control software: I don't know if you're using any, but if you're not, you should start, as it's critical to any kind of team development. I used to use Subversion a lot, but now I'm preferring Git more.
  3. Google Drive + Google Docs: This is a nice solution (at least for me and my smaller projects) when it comes to collaborating and sharing files. I like Google Docs and the fact that you can work together on a document as a team, and leave comments on various things. Google Drive is nice 'cause it integrates so well with Google Docs (they're basically merging the two). If you don't want Google Drive, there are others.
  4. Project management: there's a lot that could be discussed here, but the ones that I'm most familiar with would be agile development and scrum. There are lots of programs/web apps that allow teams to work together and plan iterations and sprints and task etc. I'm not terribly familiar with all of them, so it's hard for me to recommend one. The two I've used are ScrumDo and Rally, neither of which I'm terribly fond of.

I know this may not be all that you're looking for, but all these things are related to what you're seeking, and exploring these things can help you discover ways to collaborate with your team.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement