Best Games Programming Schools in the World

Started by
8 comments, last by Basse85 11 years, 8 months ago
What are the best schools around the globe for aspiring young game programmers.
Advertisement
I think # 1 is The Media Design School, Auckland, New Zealand
I think there's little difference between the top, say, 50 schools globally, as they only have slightly different ways of teaching those classes that are considered crucial. As I understand it, the "best" schools should include the following:

- Generalities - methodology, abstractions and paradigms
- Basic history of programming (from Difference Engine to modern-day)
- Data structures
- Algorithms
- Programming basics (in whatever language, e.g. Java or C; methodology is typically integrated into this class)
- OOP (Object-oriented programming)
- Databases
- Communication and security
- Programming Mathematics (including logarithms and sorting math)
- System development
- Operating systems
- Game design
- Artificial Intelligence (basic, not advanced)

I thought I'd just put it up here, because I think it can be a bad distraction to focus too much on the "best-ness factor" of a school.

Also, have in mind that I'm not an expert, I'm referencing the research I've done for my own plan of talking a bachelor's degree. One problem could still be bad teachers, but that is easily solved by means of some effort of your own. As I've been advised, if your bachelor includes the above, then the rest will be on you. With this kind of background (done well), you'll be rock solid. Even if you're unlucky in getting a game design job (due to local demands), you'll still have a vast range of choices for other programming jobs across the globe. Couple the bachelor's degree with a master's in some field and you're set for life. But don't forget that it's still hard work doing the job.

Finally, I think it's also important to point out that, if you feel that some of this stuff seems way over you're head, then don't panic. These courses assume nothing, you'll start together with other students who range between newbies to know-it-all, and you'll all end the course on roughly the same level.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

What are the best schools around the globe for aspiring young game programmers.

AmGame, please define "best" for us. What does "best" mean to you? ("Best" can mean different things to different people - what are your criteria?)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I think # 1 is The Media Design School, Auckland, New Zealand

Because...?

Keep in mind that when all the current "great games programmers" were in school, there was no such thing as a "games school". They're either self-taught, or studied "regular" programming, which is still a good option.
is there a god game programing school in sweden near the city Malmo or on swedich "Malmö"

is there a god game programing school in sweden near the city Malmo or on swedich "Malmö"

Turning the question back to you - are there programming/CS schools in Sweden near Malmo?
Start your search there (delete the word "game" since it's unimportant).

KTH in Stockholm or Chalmers in Göteborg, Both are considered to be decent(They're not at the absolute top but, decent) by international standards and have solid CS and SE programs. You also have good universities in a bunch of other Swedish cities, such as Malmö, Linköping, Uppsala, Umeå, etc. (Not all of them have CS programs though, check their websites)

You also have Københavns Universitet in Copenhagen(Denmark) but i don't know much about their CS related programs. (atleast its close to Malmö and the university is generally considered to be a good one).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Malmö högskola: http://edu.mah.se/sv/Program/TGSPU12h
BTH : http://edu.bth.se/utbildning/utb_program.asp?PtKod=DVGSP12h
The Game Asembly: http://www.hermods.se/yh/The-Game-Assembly/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement