• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sheep19

OpenGL Looking for a book to learn OpenGL ES 2.0 on android

This topic is 2247 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have recently started learning OpenGL 2 (not ES). However I read somewhere that the fixed-function pipeline is deprecated in favour of the programmable pipeline that OpenGL 4 and OpenGL ES 2 offers. So I decided to stop learning OpenGL 2 and move to OpenGL 4.

The problem is that my laptop has support for only OpenGL 2. That's because my OS (Ubuntu 12.04) uses the Open Source ATI driver. If I use the proprietary driver from ATI I run into a lot of problems (freezing at shutdown being one of them).

So the other solution is to learn OpenGL ES 2.0. I kinda prefer that as I plan on developing games for android devices. I'm already developing one but I use the android.graphics library. So when I learn OpenGL ES 2.0 hopefully I can use that.

So the question is, where can I learn OpenGL ES 2.0 for Android? I prefer a book instead of online tutorials.
Also I do not want to buy a book where the author uses his custom SDK. I want it to be OpenGL ES all the way.

Thank you, and sorry for my English.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!