Sign in to follow this  
winsrp

Spherical gradient

So I wanted to make a formula that would give me a the gradient point from

0 = nothing / full black

to

1 = full / full white

but, in a sphere so I cannot really print it to a bitmap.

So for a cube that has 2 by 2 by 2 I came with the following formula (values go from -1 to 1 on all axes.). My math is really ugly.

gradient = math.sin(1 - (math.abs(x) / radius)) * math.sin(1 - (math.abs(y) / radius)) * math.sin(1 - (math.abs(z) / radius))

as a plus I would like to be able to move the gradient center up or down in the y axis, but have no idea how.

help is greatly appreciated, as my formula gives... funky results to say the best.

Tx. Edited by winsrp

ok using some math and some brain, it comes down to this formula to produce a sphere... and it works as a gradient, but... radius has to be equal on all 3 sides... but I need one that can behave with different radius's on all axes.

Math.Sqrt(radius ^ 2 - (x ^ 2 + y ^ 2 + z ^ 2))

Also still with the doubt on how to move the center and keep the gradient.

wow... math is surely killing me..

got the ellipse function after LOTS of excel testing.

math.sqrt ( r1^2 - r1^2 * y^2 / r2^2 - r1^2 * z^2 / r3^2 - x^2)

now I just need how to move the center point while maintaining the size of the gradient.. on the -1 to 1 range for all axes.

for the 2nd part of the question - move the center point without affecting the gradient itself... Just move the center point...
example - your new 'center' is (0, .5 , 0) .. so subtract .5 from Y and look up the value there..

Generalized, a function f of vertex P [ f(p) ]can be solved at a new 'center' c using f(p - c) ..
Written out longform this means substituting ( pX - cX ) everywhere you were using just X before, same with Y and Z.

As for the 1st part.. should just be sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ) - the gradients would change according to sphere radius.. like layers of an onion..

So ( 0,0,0 ) is black core.. ( 0, 1, 0 ) is white point ( "north pole" )