Why do most FPS games have 2 teams?

Started by
14 comments, last by bvanevery 11 years, 8 months ago
It would be nice to see a company like THQ take the 5 sided battle from the Hobbit and release a free2play one level, over the top, slug-fest out of that. Too bad Middle-Earth Enterprises is licensed out to WB these days.
Advertisement
Having 2 teams means better strategy and gameplay for both teams. I've played a game on Reach where there's 4 teams and it's just a mindless death pool. You really can't take positions, camp, or coordinate anything because everyone is running around with their heads cut off. Lmao.

Your Post = Mind Fucking Blown

It should also be noted that the main reason why free-for-all arena games (Quake 3 Arena etc) are successful, is because death is frag-based and not final. This means that the players won't fear death and they'll even do suicide tactics for extra points. Thus, it prevents the game from becoming a mexican standoff.

- Awl you're base are belong me! -

- I don't know, I'm just a noob -

I personally also prefer to have a somewhat clear goal. More than two sides already gets fairly chaotic in non-team-games such as say starcraft. You get purposefully or accidentally back stabbed, double attacked etc. Now add in the uncertainty of other team members and instead of more depth (what else would be the purpose of more teams) you just get chaos.
Kind of a re-hash of what has already been said: Several teams basically devolves into slightly modified FFA, where the most successful team is going to be the one that lets the other teams destroy each other, then swooping in to clean up the remnants. It's not that fun to have to pick between suicidal attack or being a vulture.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

2) More than 2 teams means diplomacy (the one who stays neural longer or join the fight last basicly always wins), diplomany and politics and negotiation does not fit FPS very well...

That could be counteracted programmatically or with a scenario. Teams would have to accept that their roles are asymmetrical and under different constraints. Many arguments might ensue over fairness, but the point would be to play a lot of different scenarios under different conditions, not for everything to be fair all the time. This mentality should be familiar to wargamers, but for the general public, it might take some getting used to.

3) Only 2 teams is more realistic, in terms of warfare. I guess there were some battles in human history that had more than 2 sides, but I can't recall any right now. Just 2 sides is what our reptile brains are designed for smile.png
[/quote]

You're just not paying enough attention to military history. Consider the struggle between the Japanese, Chinese Nationalists, and Chinese Communists in WW II.
gamedesign-l pre-moderated mailing list. Preventing flames since 2000! All opinions welcome.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement