2D game for Android?

Started by
4 comments, last by 6677 11 years, 8 months ago
Don't know if this is the right place to ask this... But, I would like to create a simple 2D scrolling game for android, and maybe some simple ABC apps for toddlers. I have dabbled in "C" only a bit before I was interrupted with work & life. I searched around the web for hours to find some click and drag game designers, but they want a few hundred dollars to start with. I wouldn't really mind paying for the simplicity, if I knew what the heck I was doing in the first place.

Some friends tell me to learn Java. Others say Python. The hard core friend tells me learn C or die. Don't have a clue where to start. I don't mind shelling out a few bucks for an online class, if I knew it was a good one. Thanks for any tips or suggestions.
Advertisement
If you're going to do Android programming you'll probably want to learn Java. I believe you can do Android programming in C++ but you won't want to start out with C++. I don't know why you were suggested to learn Python if you're going to do Android programming. C# is also a possibility if you use Unity for Android.

I would recommend learning Java. Check out the Android Developer site to get started in Android programming. After you have a pretty good grasp on Java you can start Android game programming. If you want a framework to go on so you don't have to handle all the OpenGL ES yourself check out AndEngine and LibGDX. Personally, I've started using LibGDX and it's abstraction of OpenGL seems very nice. It allows you to develop games for Windows/Mac/Linux, Android, and the web though a single project.
As David mentioned, learning Java would be the way to go for Android development. But since you stated that you had looked for click and drag designers, this could be worth a look as well. MIT App Inventor was I believe a Google Labs(defunct) project, it is now being maintained by MIT.
You could also go with Unity, it works well for both 2D and 3D and has a drag&drop editor that you can use to get the basic parts in place.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Thank you for the replies. I'm going with Java. I have downloaded some ebooks and a couple tutorials that not only teach you from a beginners POV, they also have you making the simplest of games like tic-tac-toe. During my search of trying to find the books with the clearest reviews, I found this online tutorial: http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/java/java.html it's from the UK but I wouldn't think that makes a difference. Code is code, right?

So, I think I should learn the basics, ofcourse, then move my way up the knowledge ladder before attempting to get into Android game & app design.

Thank you, again.
Only difference will be spelling of some words, color vs colour (of course the code itself will still use color unless the library was made in the UK aswell)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement