Sign in to follow this  
Kambu

Racing Game with a storyline.

I have had an idea about a game in my mind for about a year now, but I have not been confident enough to start the project.
First of all I would like to mention, that I do have funds available to start making the game, but I do not have enough money to pay everyone involved. However I do have funds for equipment that might be necessary to build the game. I also already own several 3d scanners, that can be used to make 3d models. What I do not have is programming experience other than some simple BASIC language codes I have written in elementary school. However I do have 3d modeling experience, in 3dsmax. I have worked on several game modifications in the past, one of them very successful. Others faded away and were not finished.

So about the game itself:
A racing game, where the storyline starts in the early age of automobiles, around 1890-1910. There are 3 characters to choose from, all of them with different stats. Wealth, Intelligence, and Manufacturing ability.

Characters:

A farm boy with below average intelligence, low funds, but high manufacturing ability.
A boy\girl from a rich family, who has average intelligence, high funds, but very low manufacturing ability.
A son of an engineer who has high intelligence, medium funds, and some manufacturing ability.

I would not go into very much detail about the storyline just yet, to be honest I have not thought everything about it through.

The game would allow to modify the cars body, engine, brakes, literally all the parts of the cars, but in detail that has not been seen in games before. For instance, The player would have the ability to change the shape of the car extensively and the shape of the car would also affect the bodys aerodynamic propertries. The location and weight of different components would affect the Center Of gravity of the car. A large engine would consume alot of fuel and so on.

The player would also need to acquire tools and parts for the cars from a catalog. At the beginning the player would have simple tools, like wrenches, and simple hand tools, but would have the ability to buy a drill press, a lathe, a milling machine, and more specialized tools during the end phase of the game. The Game would evolve from early 1900s to around 1970. As the game progresses the character also has a chance to hire employees to help him.

I do understand, that this is a difficult project, but the real question is, is it doable on a budget of around 100.000 USD per year?

I hope that from this forum, I would find the people who help me to accomplish this project, and fulfill my dream of producing a computer game from the ground up. Please do share your comments about the game, I would apreciate any help I would get.

I would rate the game as a simulation like arcade game, where the main control option would be keyboard. Edited by Kambu

[quote name='Kambu' timestamp='1343594221' post='4964312']
1. the real question is, is it doable on a budget of around 100.000 USD per year?
2. I hope that from this forum, I would find the people who help me to accomplish this project,
3. I would rate the game as a simulation like arcade game, where the main control option would be keyboard.
[/quote]

1. One experienced professional programmer will take your entire budget of $100K/yr. Read the 2011 game industry salary survey (google it).

2. Use the Help Wanted Classifieds to recruit people.

3. That (and all the other stuff you wrote) does not really help us answer your real question. For information on how to write a game budget, see http://sloperama.com/advice/finances.htm