Generating spheres with unifrom vertex density

Started by
4 comments, last by Postie 11 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I'm in the fairly early stages of creating a 4x space strategy game, though it will have a fair bit of ground action as well. For many of the planets, I will need to use heightmapped 3d spheres as the basic mesh. The problem is that the most straightforward method of creating these meshes results in spheres with a non-uniform vertex density with more vertices around the poles. I was wondering if there are any well known methods for generating spheres with a unifrom vertex density, where the density is customizable?
Advertisement
Search the web for something like `equidistant points sphere' and you'll find lots of information about this problem.

Also, if you use a 3D texture for height displacement, the variability of vertex density becomes much less of an issue.
If geospheres might be adequate for this purpose, see e.g. this and this.
This gives decent results for render able geometry.

http://mathproofs.blogspot.com/2005/07/mapping-cube-to-sphere.html
Graphics Programmer - Ready At Dawn Studios
I think another approach is giving vertices some repulsion forces and adjust their locations by the forces.
Though I've never used the technique myself, I'm a fan of the cube to sphere mapping. It'd be the first thing I'd try if I wanted to render a globe.
[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement