Sign in to follow this  
99g9man

Law advice, selling air traffic control type game

Hi!

Recently, just for a training I made a html5 air traffic control game ( there is an airport, there are some planes, you click on them and draw a path to the runway).

All code, graphics and levels are made by myself, but I'm wondering if I could sell this game, because gameplay is based on popular games of this type. From what I found on the internet I could sell it, but I would like to ask you what do you think.

Thank you for any advice.

PS I'm from the European Union.

[quote name='99g9man' timestamp='1343733478' post='4964806']
because gameplay is based on popular games of this type.
[/quote]
What is based on ? A 1:1 clone ? To some degree most games are [i]clones [/i]of other games, but are seldom 1:1 copies with just other art. At least in the latter case I would contact a lawyer.

No, it is not a 1:1 clone, but some elements are similar - like planes are sorted by color ( plane with a purple color must land on a purlple runway etc. ), planes became red if they are about to collide and things like that. As i think, it is hard to make a very different game with this kind of a gameplay.

Ideas are covered by patents, not copyright.

So, assuming the gameplay of flight-control isn't patented ([i]which I assume it isn't, going by the number of clones out there[/i]), then you're ok... as long as you've not copied their art, sounds, UI, etc, which are protected by copyright.

[quote name='99g9man' timestamp='1343733478' post='4964806']
I could sell it, but I would like to ask you what do you think.
[/quote]

What we think is not as important as what your lawyer thinks.
If you're going into business, you need a lawyer's advice.

I did some additional research and it appears that there are several games of this type at android market (both: free and not free) and even a PS3 game, so I think that patents are not a problem.

[quote name='99g9man' timestamp='1343740946' post='4964850']
I did some additional research and it appears that there are several games of this type at android market (both: free and not free) and even a PS3 game, so I think that patents are not a problem.
[/quote]

What you must understand is this basic set of points.
[list]
[*]The research you do (while possibly educational and informative to yourself) is [b]highly unlikely[/b] to cover all relevant legal areas associated with your post.
[/list]
[list]
[*]The advice you receive through this forum (while possibly educational and informative to yourself) is [b]highly unlikely [/b]to cover all legal areas associated with your post.
[/list]
[list]
[*]The advice you receive from (an appropriately skilled) lawyer is [u][b]highly likely[/b][/u] to cover to cover all legal areas associated with your post.
[/list]

Of all three avenues mentioned above, the only one that really does enable you a legal fallback in the event of bad advice given is that given by a lawyer.

[quote name='Stormynature' timestamp='1343745011' post='4964871']
[quote name='99g9man' timestamp='1343740946' post='4964850']
[/quote]

What you must understand is this basic set of points.[list]
[*]The research you do (while possibly educational and informative to yourself) is [b]highly unlikely[/b] to cover all relevant legal areas associated with your post.
[/list][list]
[*]The advice you receive through this forum (while possibly educational and informative to yourself) is [b]highly unlikely [/b]to cover all legal areas associated with your post.
[/list][list]
[*]The advice you receive from (an appropriately skilled) lawyer is [u][b]highly likely[/b][/u] to cover to cover all legal areas associated with your post.
[/list]
Of all three avenues mentioned above, the only one that really does enable you a legal fallback in the event of bad advice given is that given by a lawyer.
[/quote]

Yes, now I understand that visiting a lawyer is the best way to make sure that selling this particular game is legal.

Anyway, all posts were "educational and informative to myself", so thank you all for responses! [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png[/img]

[quote name='99g9man' timestamp='1343765021' post='4964977']
Yes, now I understand that visiting a lawyer is the best way to make sure that selling this particular game is legal.
[/quote]

http://www.obscure.co.uk/directory/directory-legal/