Some general indie game development

Started by
5 comments, last by Wicket Sick 11 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I just discovered GameDev and I'm looking foward to this new discovery. I have two questions about independent game making.

1. If I start developing games for flash and publish on some websites I need to have what kinda of register for a studio? For example, I need to do some legal registry of it?

2. What's the average money I need to have to publish games on a digital market like iPhone or Android?

Thank you.

Advertisement
Hi, Wicket. Since you were asking business questions I moved your post here, to the Business forum. You asked:

1. If I start developing games for flash and publish on some websites I need to have what kinda of register for a studio? For example, I need to do some legal registry of it?

2. What's the average money I need to have to publish games on a digital market like iPhone or Android?

1. Check with your local, regional, and national governments. You'll have to pay taxes on any income, for sure.
2. You mean you have a finished game, and now you want to sell it on the iTunes store and the Android/Google store? Is that what you're asking?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hi, I just discovered GameDev and I'm looking foward to this new discovery. I have two questions about independent game making.

Thank you.

2. For Apples Appstore you need to pay $99 per year to Apple(This is also required to be allowed to develop for iOS), for Google Play you need to pay a one time $25 registration fee. (You can develop Android apps for free though and sell or distribute through other channels).

Monetary costs to develop and market a product vary depending on your own skills, connections and the size and complexity of the product. If you can do everything yourself the only cost will be your own labor(Which you don't have to pay cash for) and the cost of any required hardware (a computer and a few iOS/Android devices to test on is all you need so you probably allready own everything you need to get started)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Thank you Tom, sorry for the mistake. And I was thinking about what I need to pay in order to have a game published on digital market, a finished game. As Simon said this is the average fee, but I don't need to register the I.P. or something like that?
The question about the studio was more like a way to secure my I.P., since I don't know much about laws I wonder if I could fall on a law "trap" like is constantly happening on the major part of the industry.

EDIT:
Also, what means to be "allowed" to develop for iOS? Some kind of license?

1. I don't need to register the I.P. or something like that?
2. I don't know much about laws I wonder if I could fall on a law "trap" like is constantly happening on the major part of the industry.

1. There's no law that says you must register your trademarks or copyrights. There's no law that says you must take your keys out of your car and lock it, either. There's no law that says you must lock the door to your house.

2. You should hire a lawyer. You could also take some business classes and read some books.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Also, what means to be "allowed" to develop for iOS? Some kind of license?

Yes, you need a developer license to be allowed to develop for iOS and it costs $99 per year + you have to agree to Apples rules (if you break their rules they can terminate your license)
(There are ways to develop for iOS without a license but doing so might be illegal in some countries and apps that aren't distributed through Apples own appstore will not run on unmodified phones). IIRC you also need an Apple computer to do iOS development. (unless this has changed recently).

With Android you don't need a special license to develop or distribute your apps, you can choose if you want to sell your apps on Google play ($25 reg fee) , on Amazon (not sure what they charge), your own website (free, allthough services such as paypal might want some money) or any other service that sells Android apps. (Google play and Amazon are the only two i know of that customers actually use though)

Registering your copyright is not necessay, in some countries it can be beneficial, in others it simply cannot be done. (Copyright is assigned automatically in all countries that have signed the berne convention afaik, registering your copyright might make things easier if you have to go to court.

The big law "trap" is the software patents, you might want to talk to a lawyer about that.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Thank you both, this was a great help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement