From java to c#

Started by
15 comments, last by azonicrider 11 years, 8 months ago
I know I've made a few topics already but I've been reading up on different languages and I'm considering switching from learning java to learning c#.
Ive made a simple text based rpg battle simulator in java so I know the basics quite well I think, but I want to get into mobile development first and eventually move to c++.
What would be the pros and cons of switching to c#? I know it's possible to port c# to android using different libraries but is it really worth relearning a new language?

If you see a post from me, you can safely assume its C# and XNA :)

Advertisement
You're a programmer. You'll learn several languages over the course of your career. Just get used to learning more languages.

If you want to learn a language for academic reasons (that is, just for the sake of learning more), that's great. Go ahead and learn it.

If you don't want to learn a language for academic reasons, and you have no real reason for learning a new language, why bother?
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
I figured it would be easier to switch from c# to c++ than from java to c++

I figured it would be easier to switch from c# to c++ than from java to c++

Yeah, you might want to forget that thought. Just because "C#" and "C++" both begin with the letter 'C' doesn't mean they are like each other at all. They are very, very different. The only real common ground between C#, Java, and C++ is some of the syntax (they all use curly braces, they write for loops in similar ways, etc). C# is just about as different from C++ as Java is, overall. If you want to learn C++, just go ahead and jump in. There's no need to learn a "transitioning" language because, quite honestly, there is none.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Thanks that's the answer I was looking for. Eventually I will move to c++ but I guess I'll stick to java since I already have the hang of it

It totally depends on what you want to achieve.
I think it always pays to learn a new language, it might come usefull at some point in time and it's actually not that hard to use c# if you have already learned the basics of java.

However, I don't realy see the point of using C# for android applications. I could be wrong, but isn't the official SKD written for java? Why not just using java if you want to write appliations for android. C# is mostly written for windows applications, just use java for android and c# when you want to write applications for windows, it's not like you are only allowed to use one language for all your projects. My advise: stick to one language (java?) first and try to get experienced with it. Than learn some additional languages like c# and c++ as it will broaden the possibilities

Greetings,
Rob
If you're interested in trying Android development, I'd suggest sticking with Java for now, as unless you're using some third-party tool that also uses C# it'll be much easier than targeting Android with C#. As mentioned above, the official Android SDK is Java-based.

Otherwise, the languages are pretty similar, and you can use whichever you're comfortable with.

- Jason Astle-Adams

There are some efforts to develop a .NET runtime for Android, but the reality is that there is very little reason to bother with it. Java and C# are so similar that any minor benefit you get with the arguably nicer C# would be overshadowed by the burden of trying to work with a non-google supported platform.

The only good reason as I see it to use C# on Android would be to reuse a large amount of C# code that porting would not be possible or cost effective. In reality I don't see this ever actually happening because any code base large enough to not be candidate for porting probably wouldn't be well supported by the Android C# runtime anyway.
I've decided to make a game on windows and once it's done and almost perfect I'll try to port it to android

You can always use java for your windows application aswell.

FYI, android apps can also be developed in C++ when you get to that point, windows phone 8 can aswell and I have no idea about iphone.
C# with monodroid (costs $400 per year) or monotouch (also $400 per year) can run on android and iPhone but I don't think thats a price worth paying.

Your probably best of sticking where you are with java on desktop OSes and android.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement