I'm New To DirectX

Started by
3 comments, last by Dynamo_Maestro 11 years, 8 months ago
Hello,

I've been a software developer for almost 15 years now and I've been programming with DirectShow/DirectX in C# for almost 2 years. My company streams video from cameras and we are using DirectShow/DirectX technology to do so.

My ability to download samples off the internet and implement them into our application has worked fine so far, but we are beginning to grow in functional need and I really have to get my teeth into DirectX programming. Does anybody have any books they would suggest for me to start off with? Again, i'm not gaming, i'm streaming video from video capture cards and USB cameras.

Also, is C# sufficient for DirectX programming, or would it be worth my while to learn C++ (something I've never used).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan
Advertisement
Eitehr using SlimDX or XNA should suffice, I would abandon MDX if that is what you are using as MS hasn't been supporting that for a while not. SlimDX will offer the same functionality as DX and C++ in C#.

What kind of additional functionality is that you need to know about as a decent Graphics programming book will offer you more then just one about DirectX or OpenGL, the mathematics behind the two are the same for the rest you have the red book for GL and MSDN documentation for DX.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently using DirextX, never used MDX. A wealth of examples exist on the net but fine tuning it is turning out to be a bit tricky without some in depth knowledge. Switching between chip-sets on video capture cards, for example, will produce funky behavior when streaming. Not to mention accessing different properties pages on different video capture cards. I'm currently streaming at 320,240, the most immediate need to jump that resolution up to 640, 480 (and beyond). Again, i've figured out how to do it, but it's buggy due to my limited knowledge of DirectX (I randomly get the blue screen of death). I figured it was simply time to jump in and become a DirecX programmer and was looking for a good jumping off point, but not one that is gaming related.

I'm currently using DirextX

Its not possible to use directX on its own from C#, thats what MDX is, a wrapper enabling access to directX from C# (stands for managed direct X btw, directX is an unmanaged library, C# is managed code, MDX stands between the 2 to enable you to use the unmanaged code from .net)
Use SlimDX / SharpDX, both support DX9,10,11.

As for examples, most DX examples / books imo dont really get explained in a game like fashion.

Depending on what version of DX you pick (I would recommend DX11) theres different resources.

Btw what wrapper are you using in C# for DirectShow and is it any good?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement