What engine would be good to make 2d games?

Started by
18 comments, last by GameCreator 11 years, 8 months ago
Hi I am trying to develop a game for project at school and wanted to make a 2d platformer but i am not sure what to use in order to make it. I have already did some programming in a program called gamemaker which basically taught me the logic behind coding for a game. But i want to move far away from that and use a more powerful engine or language. I have begun learning java and will be taking a class in javascript. Unity3d is also another options that i have looked into but not really sure if i can make a 2d game out of that because it is a 3d engine.

Should I:
try to look for a way to make a 2d game in Unity?
or try to look for libraries for java or javascript that will help me make a 2d game?

Thanks for the help!
Advertisement
Unfortunately, this question can really only be answered by you, since it depends on many things, such as your comfort level and available time for learning programming, specific goals, type of 2d games you are interested in developing, etc.

However, to clarifty one point, you can definitely make 2d games in Unity - in fact, there is an entire tutorial available on their site for making a 2d platformer. My suggestion is run through that tutorial and see what you think.
Plain and simple: you can make a 2D game with any engine. (correct me if I'm wrong of course)
Every time i see a thread like this it always ends in "You can use any engine that's up to you."

Plain and simple: you can make a 2D game with any engine. (correct me if I'm wrong of course)

Just use flat assets and a fixed camera angle, it will look like a 2d game more or less

Unfortunately, this question can really only be answered by you, since it depends on many things, such as your comfort level and available time for learning programming, specific goals, type of 2d games you are interested in developing, etc.

However, to clarifty one point, you can definitely make 2d games in Unity - in fact, there is an entire tutorial available on their site for making a 2d platformer. My suggestion is run through that tutorial and see what you think.

i have (sorry for not explaining) but i would like to have it like 2d sprites. An example of the type of game i want to make is rayman origins.

[quote name='Inuyashakagome16' timestamp='1343921266' post='4965555']

Just use flat assets and a fixed camera angle, it will look like a 2d game more or less
[/quote]

ok i will try and look it up
Just to make sure it is clear to you one thing: Java and Javascript are completely different languages.
They have similar names but their purpose and syntax are pretty different :)

About the 2D engine:
- I tried making a 2D game in Unity3D but it was not so nice.
- You would have to use a 2D framework (as a plugin in Unity) to help you. I used a free one (Orthello2D) but I didn't like it much. A lot of people recommended a paid one (Sprite Manager) but I didn't want to risk buying one without knowing for sure it would fit my needs.
- Anyways you can find a good tutorial with the Orthello2D here.

Hope this helps somehow :)
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!
Allegro is pretty simple to use (requires C coding) and has a good community (allegro.cc).
A lot of folks are using C# / XML because of the wide Windows / Xbox support.
Quite a few folks like using Java, due to the portability.
Some folks like using Python / Pygame because of easy language.

It's all up to you. 2D games with sprites have been made in HTML / PHP / Jscript before.
Heck, due to the power of HTML5, many things are possible with that.

The #1 question you have to ask yourself is:
Do I feel comfortable with the language?

If you want to distribute your game, than portability comes into play, but just to code a 2D game, almost any language can be used.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

C# / XML

Don't you mean C# with XNA

EDIT:
Someone downvotes me for making a simple correction, wtf

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement