Using Bryce 5 to create game terrains,got any comments?

Started by
7 comments, last by OpenglLearner 22 years, 6 months ago
I''m exprimenting it.I make a terrain, export it to 3ds format and load it by 3ds loader in gametutorials.com. What are the flaws of such a method?? Any ideas?
Advertisement
The main flaw with that idea is that the mesh is harder to make than a 2-dimensional height map (what you normally use to represent the terrain''s height values). The reason people use height maps is because, I can whip off a nice customized height map in under 5 minutes. I, however, cannot whip off a complete 3D mesh for a patch of terrain in under 5 minutes in a 3D modeller.

In the end, just go the way everyone else does, coding a terrain engine. Its better in the long run.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games
Bryce 5 is not just another 3d modeling software. It is made to create terrains and veiws. It also has the ability to modify the tearrain using height maps and you see the changes you''ve made right away instead of having to load them into your game to test them. It is also easy to apply textures to it and you can control the number of polygons the are needed to craete the terrain when you want to export it as a 3ds file.
quote:Original post by ShiningKnight
In the end, just go the way everyone else does, coding a terrain engine. Its better in the long run.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games

My situation:

Short on time. Not enough knowledge. Can''t do it. the terrain created by Bryce looks damn good It will lack water however, but who cares?

I posted the last message! School computers don''t take cookies!
I have a terrain mesh made out of a bunch of teriangles. How can I check for the height at a certain point. I need this in order to let my character walk/run on the terrain mesh without going through it (Collision detection).
Well the flaws of using something like bryce to generate in game terrains are pretty obvious. The polygon count is tremendiously high. Which in turn means your going to have less polygons to use for your game characters. I''d honestly be suprised if you got anything above 20fps with a bryce terrain unless your developing on an Xbox.
I believe that, while Bryce is designer for photorealistic terrain generation, the detail level (polygon count) can be adjusted. I haven''t used Bryce5, but I seem to remember being able to adjust several settings in 4...
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Well the flaws of using something like bryce to generate in game terrains are pretty obvious. The polygon count is tremendiously high. Which in turn means your going to have less polygons to use for your game characters. I''d honestly be suprised if you got anything above 20fps with a bryce terrain unless your developing on an Xbox.

As I said before the number of polygons are customizable. It might give you unuptimized polygons but you can set the number of them. If I find more time I could write a program to optimize the mesh(get rid of extra traiangles).

Any one got an answer for my question about collision detection?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement