Noob needs help with c++ 2d game programming.

Started by
8 comments, last by lietuvis002 11 years, 8 months ago
Hello all! I am good in C++, I want to learn something about game developing. I want to start creating simple RPG game, than update this game and start creating better game , I am just 14 years old , c++ learning about 1 year, readed 2 books. It will be better, if You can give me some ebooks to start reading them and trying :)

Waiting for reply.

Sorry for my poor english :|

lietuvis002
Advertisement
Could you explain more about what you specifically want to do? Your question is slightly vague and could have a thousand answers. A few points to consider:

1. Do you want to make use of Graphics, or start out with a text-only adventure?
  2. If Graphics, what would you like to use, Allegro, DirectX, SFML etc.
  3. 2D or 3D?
  4. What would you like to learn through this process?
  5. Have you considered starting out small, maybe Tic-Tac-Toe, or Pong? I only say that as you state you are 'good' in C++ and one of these might be a good start point to get your head around using a continuous Game Loop.

Regards,

Stitchs.
You mention a simple RPG game... I suggest highly that you build a text-based RPG game so you don't end up messing around with too much you might not be comfortable with. How far you go with it is up to you really. If you make a few areas, monsters, items and it plays. If you find that it isn't a challenge, move to making it with graphics cause that adds a whole other element of difficulty.
I want to make simple 2d rpg game, with monsters, items, charakters and more... Yea, I will learn in this process, I made tic tac toe game, which graphics should I use? And maybe You can suggest me ebooks.
There are a number of libraries to use for graphics, Stitchs mentioned some of them. I personally only have experience with SDL and to some extent Allegro, SDL a very good choice if you want your games to run on different platforms, you can successfully compile your code on any platform basically without having to change your code (the only thing that you have to change is the line(s) where you include SDL). You can also use OpenGL on top of both SDL and Allegro for more advanced rendering such as body rotation and 3D rendering. http://lazyfoo.net/ is a very helpful website if you want to learn SDL.
I don't really know much about SMFL and DirectX and that, but you could probably just google them if you want some more information, I know SMFL has quite a lot of tutorials/guides.

One thing I want to say when it comes to making an RPG is that you have to think about what you're going to implement into the game and how you're going to implement it, I know from experience that things tend to go out of hand very quickly if you don't (as in very bad code design which leads to very annoying bugs and so on).
Thanks bud :) I will check the website, any more opinions?
Well, there's not really that much more to say. You just have to get comfortable with your graphics library and then you can start with your game, creating an RPG really test your problem-solving skills, your creativity, how you write your code etc. so don't start with something too large.

Good luck with your game :)
Thanks a lot! :)
TheMagicalPot - Could You give me Your skype? :) I want to chat with good game dev :)
Just out of curiosity, would it be possible for you to post a link to the .exe for your Tic-Tac-Toe, I'd be interested to see what you produced.

Maybe you should think about adapting that to a graphical format before attempting a project as 'potentially' big as an RPG. I only say this so that you might be able to get to grips with your chosen library: loading sprites, drawing to screen, buffering, using screen coordinates, setting a view-port.

Regards,

Stitchs,
Ok, thanks, I will try to create new tic-tac-toe game, becouse I dont have it in my PC :(

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement