Sign in to follow this  
TheVirtualDragon

Good open-source platform games

Hello, I am creating a 2d platform game in C++ and I am having problems with creating the engine. I want to know if there is a good open-source platform game so I can study it's engine. I would prefer it to be using SFML for graphics and Box2D for physics, but it doesn't really matter as I want to look at the structure not the actual code.

Instead, if there is a good tutorial on how to make a good game engine, then I will have a look at it. I have looked at some examples but not really understood most of it as it is too complex for me. This is my first game (apart from tic-tac-toe and pong) so I don't want my engine to be overly complicated.

Additional Information: I have about 2 years of experience in C++ and am dual booting Linux and Windows (so the platform doesn't matter - as long as it is not OS X).

Also, what would be better to implement: an object based engine (define object, player, enemy etc.) or a component based (define graphics, physics and sound and build everything else from there)?