Randomly Loosing 3 Reputation Points

Started by
19 comments, last by Cornstalks 11 years, 7 months ago
Before I begin, yes I have read http://www.gamedev.n...breakdown-r2925 many times.

I have been noticing that I have lost a lot of points, and was wondering why. I looked in my profile, and found that a lot of my posts had -3 attached to them - and it was NOT from being down voted.

What is causing this to happen ?

Random_Point_Loss.png

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement
All of the posts listed in that screenshot correctly match up to up or down votes in the listed topics... i.e. it is from being down-voted.

- Jason Astle-Adams

All of the posts listed in that screenshot correctly match up to up or down votes in the listed topics... i.e. it is from being down-voted.

No it isn't - look at the topics .

Your staff - you should know it takes 2 clicks to verify what I said.
1 click on my rep points, 1 click on the post with negative points.

Literally 3 seconds.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you really think I'm so lazy that I tried to answer you without following such a simple process? To walk you through the beginning of it, I:

1. Clicked into your rep points.
  2. Clicked into the first listed item (which happily resides in the exact same location as the second one -- hooray for time savings!), and checked the votes on the post in question.
  3. The post in question has two down-votes -- one for each listing in your rep history. i.e. it matches up correctly.
  4. Repeated the above for the other listed items; they match similarly.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Possible source of confusion: were you aware that the voting/score widget next to any given post only shows the total number of votes effecting the post in question?

For example, after a post is voted down once it will display -1. After a second down-vote it would be -2. If there is then an up-vote the display would now be -1 (-2 +1).

The listing in your rep panel shows the effect the votes had on your reputation; there were 2 down-votes on one of your posts (displaying -2 on the widget in the topic), each of which caused a -3 effect on your reputation.

Please excuse formatting or spelling errors, as I'm responding from a mobile device.

- Jason Astle-Adams

What is causing this to happen ?

Oh, I don't know... maybe it's posts like these:

[quote name='jbadams' timestamp='1344125852' post='4966213']

No it isn't - look at the topics .

1 click on my rep points, 1 click on the post with negative points.

Literally 3 seconds.
[/quote]

But yea, it's probably what jbadams points out. The number by your post shows the composite score of that post based on votes. Each vote has an effect on your rep (not all votes are worth +/-3 points). For example, this post looks like it as 2 downvotes and 1 upvote, therefore it shows -1 by the post (-2 + 1), but in your history there's -3, -3, and +3.

For what it's worth, there seems to be a heck of a lot of unnecessary downvoting in this thread (and various other threads)... I really wish people had to earn the ability to downvote (and could lose this ability)...
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
For what it's worth, there seems to be a heck of a lot of unnecessary downvoting in...
N.B. down-voting someone also lowers your own reputation now, so the guy who went on a down-vote spree in that thread also just lowered his own rep by a decent amount.
* sigh *

Here is a painfully obvious illustration ....

loss_points.png

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

* sigh *

Here is a painfully obvious illustration ....

*sigh* you're reading it wrong. Each vote in your rep history will take you to the post that was voted up or down. Click on each one and see where it takes you. Your history shows 4 voting events from that thread: 3 downvotes and one upvote. Click each one and see where it takes you.

In chronological order:
Downvote, -3, Jul 07 2012 12:39 AM (post #26) (post numbers are displayed in the top right corner of each post)
Downvote, -3, Jul 07 2012 12:40 AM (post #29)
Downvote, -3, Jul 07 2012 01:21 AM (post #29)
Upvote, +3, Jul 07 2012 06:56 AM (post #29)

Results:
Post #26 has 1 downvote, and correctly shows -1 by it and -3 in your history.
Post #29 has 2 downvotes and 1 upvote, and correctly shows -1 (-2 + 1) by it and -3, -3, and +3 in your history.

Conclusion: you aren't randomly losing 3 points.

@Hodgman: I don't think that deters such downvoters... I don't think people who go on downvoting sprees care.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Put succinctly, the reputation events shown on your reputation page are displayed with the thread's name, it should then stand to reason that multiple rep. events in the same thread will show up with identical names - clicking each event will take you to the actual post that was upvoted (or in this case, downvoted).

Essentially, the reputation list is a permanent record of your reputation changes, while the number next to your posts represents the number of people who upvoted the post, minus the number of people who downvoted it. Therefore these two metrics may not agree, especially since rep. changes aren't always +/- 3 but depend on the voter, so you can very well end up in situations where your post has a number of 0 while still netting you +1 rep, if this makes sense.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement