Deferred rendering tutorials for DirectX 11?

Started by
6 comments, last by french_hustler 11 years, 7 months ago
Hello!

I've been looking around searching for a good tutorial or guide on how to implement deferred rendering in DirectX 11. There seems to be some open source engines that use it, but going through a whole framework isn't what I'm looking for. There also seems to be quite a lot for XNA. Is there no good guide for DirectX 11?
Advertisement
There's at least one book with an example implementation. Practical Rendering and Computation with DirectX 11.
You're right. I don't see a lot of examples online. I'll add deferred shading with DirectX 11 to my list of upcoming tutorials.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints

There's at least one book with an example implementation. Practical Rendering and Computation with DirectX 11.

Yes. I have heard that it is supposed to be good. But as a student with no means, those 50 € seem horribly valuable!

You're right. I don't see a lot of examples online. I'll add deferred shading with DirectX 11 to my list of upcoming tutorials.

Cheers!

Nice! How about tomorrow? ;) Just kidding, but that would be terrific! I'll check your site!

[quote name='Hornsj3' timestamp='1344181938' post='4966382']

Yes. I have heard that it is supposed to be good. But as a student with no means, those 50 € seem horribly valuable!

[/quote]

You have to pay for the book, but the code is free. smile.png

Aside from that, there's also Andrew Lauritzen's excellent sample on tile-based deferred rendering with compute shaders. I also have yet another sample on my blog that implements both tile-based deferred rendering and light-indexed deferred rendering using compute shaders. However these last two samples are definitely more advanced, and assume that you understand the basics of deferred rendering.
Thanks MJP! I will take a look at that code. Unfortunately I'm running a fever at the moment, so I'm not into too much brainwork right now :(

You have to pay for the book, but the code is free. Posted Image

That's a hell of a lot of code with no book.. I need this book. I have it in my basket on Amazon, I'm glad I've seen it recommended :)

So deffered rendering.. does that mean MeshRenderer::Render(&mesh) ?

I've been doing the rastertek tutorials, and then read something on here 'MeshInterface or AbstractMesh', and it got me thinking.. the way I've got it set up atm I have a model and a model has a texture and one of rasterteks shaderclass (a little different though). I was wondering, since you're a bit ahead of me on the understanding of engines and such, how would I go about exlporing this idea? Are there any basic tutorials out there on this?
Check out Humus' examples. He has clear code and different implementations of deferred renderers.
Here is his site:
http://www.humus.name/index.php?page=3D&&start=8

He has really good demos and his framework is pretty easy to understand.
A lot of it is using Dx10.1, but it should be really easy to migrate to Dx11.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement