Anybody develop (or interested in developing) games using SVG, Scalable Vector Graphics?

Started by
16 comments, last by jbadams 11 years, 7 months ago
I think that with the right resources at hand, a game developer can create more user friendly and games more quickly than they can today if the developer was to start using SVG (vector) to create the images and games. Has anybody tried developing games in SVG yet? Would you like to give it a try?

If you are a game developer with SVG experience, I would definitely like to chat with you! If you are interested in developing a game in SVG, I would like to chat with you. If you just want to kick the tires, I'm "game" for that too!

There's a new online animated photo animation tool that allows users to upload photos, take selected parts from each and put them into a single animated photo, all while online. The site is a bit weak on user help and not many animation attributes at this moment; but, these will be added soon. The image quality will improve soon as well; however, it still gives you a headstart over where you are at today.

It is believed that this online tool will help game developers create their animations faster once they learn how to use this tool. Additional animation attributes will be added soon. I think that within 6-8 months you will be able to knock out at least 50% of your development time.

The online animation code is open sourced so you can do whatever you want with it.

I desire your feedback!

http://www.Pac-n-Zoom.com
http://www.pac-n-zoom.com/hot_air_balloon.svg
http://www.pac-n-zoom.com/blooming-success.svg

Thanks,

Jerry
Advertisement
I don't see in what way using SVG's would increase productivity at all or how that tool would help

I don't see in what way using SVG's would increase productivity at all or how that tool would help

I don't see it either.
But I want to add SVG support to my engine. It is very useable for Text-Rendering and for Buttons or other GUI-Elements.
It would increase Quality but also add another "tool" dependency...
It is up to the artist and the engine but SVG has a great scaleability.

I never thought about SVG-Animation... Maybe. But I don't see a real use point.
Reading, Reading, Reading... why do you read not more?
I have a blog: omercan1993.wordpress.com look there for more content
And I also do some art: omercan1993.deviantart.com
And whats about the Pear3DEngine? Never heard of it? Go and look!
Yeah, and currently I do this: SimuWorld

PS: Please look at this poll on my blog about scripting languages: A opinion poll about scripting language
Make texture in inkscape, rasterize it a few times. done.
You might want to consider trying us out. Upload a photograph (24 bit) that's less than 490,000 pixels at Pac-n-Zoom.com and convert it to SVG. Then if you want to do special effects to it, just bring it back into Inkscape or whatever. It should give you a few more options you didn't previously have. As we add more SVG animation functions you can create games completely in SVG. SVG can and will give you things in games you can't easily get today.

Yesterday we added raster background as an option. The raster background would be placed in an SVG "wrapper", so to speak. The SVG animation would go in front of the background. The raster background gives you a higher quality background and smaller file sizes. In a few months an SVG background will become the preferred choice because it will have the higher quality and smaller file size.

Next Monday I'll share with you some of the reasons you want to consider using Animated SVG in games and how SVG can increase productivity and interaction with the users.

There's a new online ... tool that allows users to upload photos...

It is believed [color=#ff0000][by whom?] that this online tool will help game developers create their animations faster once they learn how to use this tool.[/quote]
Customarily it is polite to not beat around the bush, but to openly admit you made (or helped make) the tool.
Your entire post never actually comes out and says it (your second post lets it slip out, but it's pretty obvious anyway), and in fact the entire thread title is pretending to be about vector images. "Anybody develop (or interested in developing) games using SVG, Scalable Vector Graphics?" isn't the topic, "Hey, check out this tool I made and give me feedback" is the real topic (which is fine... if you're honest about it).

Additional animation attributes will be added soon. I think that within 6-8 months you will be able to knock out at least 50% of your development time.[/quote]
That's a pretty extreme claim. I can knock 50% off my programming, music composing, drawing, scripting, and level design by using your art program? ohmy.png

7 of 5 doctors agree that that statistic looks like it was pulled out of thin air. wink.png
Even if you simply mean 50% of my art production time, that statistic is still an extreme overestimation (Actually, technically it's not even an estimation, since estimating is a logical deduction. It's a guess, not an estimation). The vast majority of my art creation time goes towards creating the art, not re-rendering it at different resolutions or converting it between file formats.

50% = made up at random (at least it seems so).
And the '6 to 8 months' = also made up at random.
"It is believed" = You claim, nobody believes it.
"I think that within 6-8 months you will be able to knock out at least 50% of your development time."
You don't think that - you (wildly) guess or claim that without a solid basis for it (or without giving a solid basis). There is a big difference.

Your post seems like an infomercial. In general, people don't like feeling like they are being tricked - your post seems deceptive in at least four different ways: false pretense at what the thread topic is about, written almost as if you are an unbiased third party, claims of benefits that aren't accurate or scientific in nature, and claims that other unbiased people feel the same way. You'd probably have better luck if you are just straight-forward and to the point. smile.png

I don't know whether you are trying to be deceptive or not - I don't think you are - but my advice for your marketing attempts is to really rethink how you present your tools (and how you present yourself), because it certainly sounds (poorly) deceptive and fake, and it gives me and possibly others a bad taste in their mouth before they even learn what your tool is or who you are.
PnZjerry, I don't think you understand game development. Your tools is great, but hardly usable for game development. "knock out 50% of your time", "how SVG can increase productivity and interaction with the users" are some pretty wild marketing claims!

There have been vector-art games out there since 1980s, and just the fact it's vector art does not make it easier to develop, or "increase interactions with users."

Btw, judging from your web design, it looks like you haven't been on the web since 1990, there's this thing called Flash games. Look it up. The majority of the games there uses vector art.
@6677 Inkscape limits you to 64 colors and at their best, 256 poor colors. Our technology gives you 16.7 million colors. When we add our "shape grouper" in about 2-3 months, we will give you vectorized photos at photographic quality. It should save you some steps as you create your desired image.

When we add our core technology in about 6-8 months, you will be able to (for example) capture the Daytona 500 on film and animate it in very short order. With SVG it can easily be made very interactive with the users. I'll address this part of it tomorrow so that "Servant of the Lord" can get a better grasp of it. Obviously he isn't a happy camper.
@Servant of the Lord: Thank you for your feedback and comments; however, I think you read my post on the wrong side of your bed. I'll address your comments tomorrow'ish. Sure, I didn't give you enough information; however, it is clear that you are not an open-minded thinker? I'll give you more information tomorrow and you can decide then if you want to be an early-adopter or a me-too kind of guy. Either way, let others decide for themselves.

BTW--I didn't make,nor help make, the tool. And, the thread is about vector (SVG) and trying give people an opportunity to animate SVG online...for free no less. You might want to re-read the thread title and first couple paragraphs. I think you saw the 50% statement and your eyes crossed. Please name one product that lets anybody animate SVG photographs online. I'm not talking about line art or tracing. Check out Google's SVG-Edit and try to upload a photograph and animate it online. If you can find one then try uploading a photograph on their site and animating it, then try it on ours. Sure, our site isn't cool, doesn't have a bunch of busy gammer stuff on it, and is a bit akward to use at the moment, but hey, it IS a pre-launch product and the animation site is meant just to be something to show developers how our technology works & how they can take our open-sourced animation tool and create a cool website or app of their own with all that busy gammer stuff on it. Um, did I mention it is free at this time?

For those of you who don't know, SVG is capable of being extremely interactive with a user. You can't get that kind of interaction in Flash.

Again, I'll give you something Wednesday or Thursday with more detail and address most of your comments.

For those of you who don't know, SVG is capable of being extremely interactive with a user. You can't get that kind of interaction in Flash.

Flash (or more accurately Actionscript) is Turing complete.

I think you need to stop, carefully consider your current audience (professional game developers), the terminology that they are familiar with, the level of understanding they have of their domain of expertise, what they care about, and rethink how you phrase your advertisements.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement