Quick guide for beginner

Started by
4 comments, last by slicer4ever 11 years, 8 months ago
Hi All.

I am a very enthusiastic developer, recently I have been writing c/c++ programmes and compiling them. I also have written a few games in Flash/AS3.

Quick overview, I am a linux user, so I generally find compilers and install them. I then write my code using VIM, compile them accordingly then run them locally to test my work. However, I do not wish to use an IDE (including Eclipse). I am however wondering what anyone could suggest since I would like to work towards developing games, for platforms like PS3 and of course I'm not aware of any Developer Toolkits being available for linux, let alone Ubuntu.

Any advice would be appreciated, Microsoft Windows, is not and will not ever be an option.
Advertisement
Well, if you dont want to use an IDE, sit there with your VIM. What is the problem? What do you miss?
If you want to develop for Linux, there are many C++ SDKs you can use - SDL might be a good start.

You might be better served by being more open-minded about the tools you're willing to use. Is there any reason you have to use VIM?
If you truly think about developing for PS3 you need to know that Sony is quite picky about who can write games for their console (their policy is not as open as Microsoft's with their XNA for X360). The only official way to get their SDK is through purchasing a license from Sony.

The only official way to get their SDK is through purchasing a license from Sony.

Which is expensive, VERY expensive.
it might be worth noting that the ps3 does have a homebrew sdk, called PS1L1GHT, i've left the ps3 scene awhile ago, so things could have changed, but ur'll need a machine which is still homebrew capable(i.e 3.55 is last i knew).
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement