Best language to make 2d games

Started by
21 comments, last by Paul Benedict Jabines 11 years, 7 months ago
Hey, Im new here so I hope this is in the right forum. Now I have an Idea for a 2d platformer but I've only ever coded VB.Net HTML and CSS. I was wondering what would be the best language to make a 2d platformer and then other games. I was thinking of C++ but I've also thought of Java. Im just about to enter into college to study computer science and my first CS class is Intro to Java so I was thinking to start learning Java now. But if C++ is better for overall game creation ill learn both at the same time.

So basically if tl;dr

- Java or C++ for game creation (or other)
- What would be a good engine for a 2d platformed?
Advertisement
Making platform games in Java is only a wise idea if it's for Android. In any other scenario I'd say C# would be better (especially because of the XNA library). I wouldn't recommend C++ if you're just starting to program - I think C# would be a better choice for now, especially because it's similar to Java in many ways (which, as you said, you'd be learning at the university).

If you're however open to other languages, I'd recommend Python as well. With its extensive SDL-based pyGame module, it's quite fast and easy to write fully playable 2D games. There's plenty of tutorials for that, I'd recommend these for starters: http://inventwithpython.com/index.html
Awesome I was really thinking about python but wasnt sure of its game capabilities, I've got some ideas for python bots I want to make but thats for another forum. Nothing illegal though
C# is fairly similar to VB.net IMO, easy enough to pick up, then you can use the XNA library which I find to be greatly superior to python+pygame. XNA can also be used with VB.net (and even ironPython) but the XNA tutorials mostly focus on C#.
Best language is the one you're most familiar with. I, for one, like to do my things in c++, but if you're just starting out, XNA isn't bad. But try to go beyond XNA when you know enough. XNA is good up to a point.
I mean I know that, and I understand it, Ive studied VB.Net for two years in highschool. Only programming class besides HTML and CSS. But .Net just isnt good for gaming I mean I can make programs in it but thats about it
.Net is getting increasingly popular for making games. Most of the games on xbox live indie games are made in XNA. Terraria and Bastion are 2 popular titles made in XNA. I've seen in an older version of XNA someone made an engine capable of loading quake 2 data files (essentially a quake 2 engine reimplementation)
A really great place to start game programming is with Python using the SDL wrapper Pygame. Python is really easy to learn, and if you're going to get into game development, having to worry about learning a much more complex language like C++ or Java AS WELL as game programming theories and concepts, could really set you back. Pygame is also EXTREMELY easy to use with Python and has pages and pages of really usefull documentation on their website, something I found VERY usefull.

A really great place to start game programming is with Python using the SDL wrapper Pygame. Python is really easy to learn, and if you're going to get into game development, having to worry about learning a much more complex language like C++ or Java AS WELL as game programming theories and concepts, could really set you back. Pygame is also EXTREMELY easy to use with Python and has pages and pages of really usefull documentation on their website, something I found VERY usefull.

I also agree on this choice. Once you get the hang of pygame dump python and just switch to C++ with native SDL. The API is pretty much the same since pyGame is just a bunch of binders to SDL.

It's also advantageous since python is an easy scripting language that takes very little time to deploy. I even know a few C programmers who mock things up with python sometimes.

[size=1]I "surf" the web, literally.

Language_Structure ( Python != C++ ){}

Any way, what language to use to make 2D games?

Python / Pygame is easy, however is not portable at all ( don't get me started on Py2Exe )
C# / XNA is a bit harder than Python, but is very popular -- Mono makes it portable to any system
Flash / Action Script 3 is great for web games
Java is very portable, but can be a resource hog.
C++ is very portable, but takes a lot of time to develop

There are quite a few other languages to pick from, however one has to take into consideration portability AkA, how easy it is for others to install and use your finished product.
Some scripting languages used in 2D games - Lua, Ruby, Boo, HTML 5

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement