Okay.. So.. What language(s) to learn?

Started by
14 comments, last by CC Ricers 11 years, 8 months ago
Hello,
I am looking to develop a simple political simulation game much like Nationstates. Some what question is What language(s) do I need to develop this? I get the impression I need PHP but is that all I need? Also how would I go about developing the game?
**EDIT**
This video explains Nationstates very well if that would help my question (it is 6mins long but if you skip through it you can still get the idea)
Advertisement
Where did you get PHP from? I've never actually seen PHP used for games other than proof of concepts to see if its even possible.

Is this your first game because a simulation often has hidden complexities in the game code which can be very difficult to overcome for a newcomer.

Anyway, some choices:
C#
C++
Java
Python
And many more are out there.

Where did you get PHP from? I've never actually seen PHP used for games other than proof of concepts to see if its even possible.

Is this your first game because a simulation often has hidden complexities in the game code which can be very difficult to overcome for a newcomer.

Anyway, some choices:
C#
C++
Java
Python
And many more are out there.

I think there was a post on another forum which mentioned PHP. Yes this is my first game. Also in effect isn't Nationstates just a dynamic webpage which is what PHP can provide?
Not PHP. Anything but PHP!

As you are just starting out, picking one language is ideal. Keep focused as best you can.

This guide should help you choose.
You could go with Python. If you're also planning to make a website, you can use it for CGI. Pretty sure it's the easiest way.

As you are just starting out, picking one language is ideal. Keep focused as best you can.

But isnt Nationstates in effect just a series of dynamic webpages which is the point of PHP?

[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1344454652' post='4967497']

But isnt Nationstates in effect just a series of dynamic webpages which is the point of PHP?
[/quote]

You know what, I know NOTHING about Nationstates, and I still realize that PHP is not the solution!

PHP is a bastard of a language and should go the way of the dodo. If you have a game that is basically a series of dynamic web pages, use something else... I would suggest Node/Express/Javascript personally in that case.

[quote name='Monkayy' timestamp='1344455689' post='4967503']
[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1344454652' post='4967497']

[/quote]

You know what, I know NOTHING about Nationstates, and I still realize that PHP is not the solution!

PHP is a bastard of a language and should go the way of the dodo. If you have a game that is basically a series of dynamic web pages, use something else... I would suggest Node/Express/Javascript personally in that case.
[/quote]
Okay, I am new and you have a good reputation so I trust you :) How much does javascript have in common with java? (just wondering). This video explains Nationstates very well if that would help my question (it is 6mins long but if you skip through it you can still get the idea)

How much does javascript have in common with java?

They both have "java" in their names. Seriously ... Javascript was originally called LiveScript, I think, but was renamed JavaScript because Java was cool at the time.

[quote name='Monkayy' timestamp='1344457145' post='4967513']
How much does javascript have in common with java?

They both have "java" in their names. Seriously ... Javascript was originally called LiveScript, I think, but was renamed JavaScript because Java was cool at the time.
[/quote]

Basically this. Although it wasn't just because Java was trendy, it was actually a deal between Netscape and Sun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement