Open Source Projects

Started by
4 comments, last by jbadams 11 years, 8 months ago
I'm looking around for some simple open source game projects that follow good practices in their code, with the intent of hopefully learning something from reading the sources. Preferably something that's reasonably terse, works in realtime, and does something nontrivial with graphics and sound. Any recommendations?
Advertisement
You learn from reading code but at the same time you don't learn anything. You just end up in the habit of re-using the same little code snippets over and over again, blatent copying of the code straight into your own projects.
Anybody else?
These are games made with Pygame, which is a Python addon library.
http://www.pygame.org/news.html
Everything here is open source. Just use Notepad++ to read the .py files, or download and install Python and Pygame.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wrote a post here once that I'm just going to link to rather than copy 'n' paste...
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
You could take a look at Secret Maryo Chronicles, or check this recently posted topic sharing "a highly commented pong game in javascript".

Like those above however, I'm a strong believer that there isn't always much value in reading source-code as a beginner, as you lack the context telling you why the code was written a certain way -- is it actually a good technique, something the author was unfamiliar with and just slapped together, did they have strict memory requirements that might not apply to you, etc.?

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement