Networking in SDL

Started by
3 comments, last by nfries88 11 years, 8 months ago
I've been doing some simple sdl tutorials and was curious as to what the learning curve for networking in sdl is. Also I was wondering what could be accomplished with the networking in sdl. For instance if I could create a server with rooms that people could join or if sdl is only able to be used in LAN or direct connect situations. If the first part isn't true then what would be the best way to achieve it? I have no experience with networking in C++ at all so I really have no idea where to start....
Advertisement
"Networking" is the hard part. The learning curve is likely years.
"Networking in SDL" is easy, once you know "SDL" and "C++" and "Networking."
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Alright thanks
Hello,

SDL_NET is quite simple to use, at the end there are a pair of commands to send and receive data over the net after connecting to a socket server, the problem is you will probably need threads to process the network data without stoping main game thread, that is a little more difficult.

The point is: do you need to be able to connect 1 user / 100 users / 10000 users?
As was recommended, I would suggest SDL_Net. It will reduce the learning curve from years to a year and some change, assuming of course you're not trying to do something crazy for a beginner like make an MMORPG from scratch.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement