Pretty advanced pointer problem

Started by
27 comments, last by krippy2k8 11 years, 8 months ago

Largely unrelated to your question but from the look of it in the event that moveToBag returns false then the Item pointer is just discarded and the object is not deleted. Really you should prefer to use smart pointers for this kind of thing, either std::shared_ptr (if your compiler supports it) or boost::shared_ptr are appropriate here. Chances are that better use of RAII containers would also help with the problem you're having now.

Afraid I've no other insight into why your code is crashing. When it does crash does the content pointer still have the same value (i.e. pointing to the same address) or has it been changed to something else or been nullified? If it is not the same value then clearly the problem is that the content pointer is being changed. If the the pointer is unmodified then the object has probably been prematurely deleted or corrupted somehow. I haven't looked at the full code but the problem might also be with accessing the x member of contBox, the full source code or crash details might trivially disprove that theory though :-)

You are correct, i'll have to fix that. Deleting the object seems like a sensible thing to do there. Thank you

The x member is clean. Atleast that what my compiler says. The pointer changes from "content = (Currency *)0x24e8f1a0" In the Additem function (in the container class) to "content = (class Item *)0x24e8f1a0" in the update function.

Probably the item getting corrupted or deleted somehow since the memory adress is the same. I've got "protection" in case it gets nullified so that shouldn't be the problem.
Advertisement
I didn't locate the crash and didn't run the code because I didn't have SDL development libraries installed (only SDL2), but I have some general recommendations that might help. These are really quite general and you have probably of them, but I'll reiterate them anyway.

First of all, the class inheritance is a bit of a mess and memory seems to be leaking. The worst is that almost everything seems to derive from LoadFiles and its constructor loads all images, fonts etc. Each time anything derived from LoadFiles is created, and these classes seem to be many in number, all images and fonts probably get loaded again and again. I'm not 100% sure given that I've only taken a glance at the code, but it really seems to be so.

Secondly, there seems to be lot of inheritance. It is better to use composition in most cases. Try looking up composition vs inheritance. There was a good post about it on GameDev, but I can't find it at the moment.

There also seems to be a bit of duplicate code. For example Item::setDead(). Item could just as easily have boolean dead member and set it instead of it being marked abstract. All the child classes are just doing the same. Just try to find code that duplicates itself and remove it. It's a slow process at first and it's often easier to just copy-paste, but it will hurt a lot later even when trying to make sense of your own code that is months or years old. Also, the less code you have to read the more obvious the errors will become. I don't mean shortening the names of variables, but the logical duplicates where a new function could be used in more than one place or even when it makes logically more sense to keep it separately.

Now, the pointer-hell. There are a lot of pointers, so many I lost track. Whenever possible, try to use references, full memory copies and stack allocated variables. In my experience pointers are almost always bad unless you need to optimize something. And even then the pointers should be local.

There are also many references to pointers. A reference is technically a pointer anyway, with the restriction that it can not be reassigned to point to another location. For example instead of Cursor* &cursor it makes sense to use either Cursor* cursor or preferably Cursor& cursor since the pointer value is not reassigned and it would be a bad idea to do so anyway.

Then there is the problem with rendering code being mixed with the game state. Usually it is best to have the underlying structure separately and provide different views for it, but it's already way out of scope of what I planned to say at first and there's plenty said about it elsewhere.

I hope you get something out of my recommendations. Overall it's not bad for a first project at all. I wish I could be more thorough, but architecture and pointers are a huge subject and unfortunately without running the code seeking crash is like searching random uninitialized pointer from heap of bees.

Edit: Sorry as I am probably repeating much said above as I started writing when no other posts were made. I'm slow.

loads of helpful tips.

Thanks for the tips!

I will definitely looking up composition vs inheritance.

I've noticed my duplicate code as well. I've chosen to ignore it for the time being thought. Since much of the code is kind of a disaster i am stuck debating with myself if i should just rewrite it all and implement more support for stuff i want to to from the start or just try to clean up my code somewhere down the road.

So pointers and references can be used differently? I've always thought that a pointer of an variable returns it's memory position. A reference of that pointer returns the normal value. I didn't know i could use references by themselves, just thought i used them to kind of dissemble a pointer.

That i will definitely have to look into! Would you mind going further in depth about the advantages and differences between a pointer and reference? Would really appreciate it :)

If you don't mind i'd like to hear what you had to say about the rendering code. Since if i do decide to rewrite it all i'd hate to make the same mistakes again :)

Just to get someone else's opinion than my own, what would you have done? Clean up the code or just rewrite it? Since this is my first project it feels kind of "sad" to crap it and start all over, since it does take some time to get where i'm at with the code now.

Probably the item getting corrupted or deleted somehow since the memory adress is the same. I've got "protection" in case it gets nullified so that shouldn't be the problem.

If the object is deleted you should be able to tell by putting a breakpoint/logging in the destructor and/or anywhere that is likely to be doing the deleting. If the object is being corrupted then that's harder (the fault lies with probably unrelated code) but you could try to use your IDE to inspect the object at various points through the execution up to the crash and figure out when it becomes corrupted, it is then a matter of knowing what else was happening at that time (like a loop that writes off the end of an array).
The thing is that the pointer isn't really being touched or anything after that last use and the call to update it's position. One second it's working. But as fast as it leaves that code behind it doesn't. Almost acts like a temporary variable, even though it's not

[s]FYI, I'll probably add more to this post in a little bit, so expect a few edits over the next hourish...[/s] Whoa, didn't realize it was such a big code dump and it was a Code::Blocks project. Nevermind, I'm not gonna wade through it.

Well the only relevant code is in a few functions. If you are still interested i can tell you which ones. I just posted the whole project if someone felt they wanted to debug it themselves.

So pointers and references can be used differently? I've always thought that a pointer of an variable returns it's memory position. A reference of that pointer returns the normal value. I didn't know i could use references by themselves, just thought i used them to kind of dissemble a pointer.
[/quote]

I'm going to try to give an explanation that I use for myself when coding and while it's not pure, it's easier to understand and it works. However, you'd do well to look up other sources that probably explain it better and more correctly than I do.

First the declaration of a different variables:

int value=0; // Integer value (takes up 32 bits on 32 bit system). Should be initialized almost always.
int* pointer=&value; // Pointer value (takes also up 32 bits on 32 bit system, but used differently). Should also be initialized almost always.
int& reference=value; // Reference must always be initialized! Compiler checks against it and won't let simple int& reference; pass

The first is obvious, it reserves 32bits for the value. The pointer is also 32 bits and points to memory location of value. The reference acts pretty similarly to pointer. The main differences are that reference can not be reassigned. When assigning new value to it, it is assigned to value, not to itself. The only bad things that can happen with a reference is that value goes out of scope or is destroyed before the reference goes out of scope. With a pointer one can accidentally reassign its value and it will point to something that is no longer there.

About references to pointers.

int value=0;
int& referenceToValue=value; // References value
int* pointer=&value; // Pointer to value
int*& referenceToPointer=pointer; // References pointer, so it technically acts as pointer to pointer

// All these operations store 10 in value
value=10;
referenceToValue=10;
*pointer=10;
*referenceToPointer=10;

There's a lot of material on the subject and it usually takes a while to wrap ones head around it, so just search for pointer vs reference.

If you don't mind i'd like to hear what you had to say about the rendering code. Since if i do decide to rewrite it all i'd hate to make the same mistakes again
[/quote]

It's better to separate the base-logic and rendering code except in some borderline scenarios. This is a simple example on how I might set it up for a game similar to yours that has inventory and loot. And it doesn't have any explicit pointers at all:

#include <vector>

// The logical part
/** Item component is the baseclass for WeaponComponent and other possible components.
It exists, because enable/disable functionality is shared */
class ItemComponent {
private:
bool enabled; ///< For enabling/disabling component

public:
ItemComponent() : enabled(false) {}

void enable() { enabled=true; }
};

/** A weapon component is item component */
class WeaponComponent : public ItemComponent {
private:
double damage; ///< Damage that the weapon might cause

public:
/** Constructor with default being a weapon that does nothing */
WeaponComponent(double _damage=0.0) : damage(_damage) {}
};

/** It does not matter whether the item is in the world as a loot or in inventory. We won't put anything here that is world specific (eg position). */
class Item {
private:
WeaponComponent weapon; ///< Weapon component. Enable the component, if the item is a weapon.
// If memory consumption is a problem, Weapon* could be used instead, but then copy
// constructor and assignment operator must be overloaded to create copies of all components.
// At the moment it is not needed, because ItemComponent holds entire copy of weapon anyway.

public:
void enableWeaponComponent() { weapon.enable(); }///< For convenience

/** Get weapon component reference as constant reference */
const WeaponComponent& getWeaponComponent() const { return weapon; }

/** Set weapon component. An assigment is made and contents of passed const
reference to some other weapon are copied to weapon component of this item */
void setWeaponComponent(const WeaponComponent& _weapon) { weapon=_weapon; }
};

/** Provide separate loot item to give it world position */
class LootItem {
private:
int x, y;
Item item; // Easier to have the item here

public:
LootItem(int _x=0, int _y=0, Item _item=Item()) : x(_x), y(_y), item(_item) {}

const Item& getItem() const { return item; }
};

typedef std::vector< Item > Inventory; // Inventory now becomes a simple vector where we can put items and take them back out again. Also note that we are not keeping pointers, but entire items
typedef std::vector< LootItem > Loot; // Same with loot

// User-interface and rendering.
// I'm leaving out a lot from here, because the example has already grown beyond the complexity I intended.
/** Rendering and user interface handling. The reason why this is provided separately, is because there can be different views on inventory.
For example we might want to render inventory of enemies differently over the head of enemy and so on. */
class InventoryUserInterface {
public:
/** No need to hide rendering of items */
void renderItem(Item item) {
// Render item however you want
}

/** Render inventory */
void render(Inventory& inventory) {
for(Inventory::const_iterator item=inventory.begin(); item!=inventory.end(); ++item) {
// Render the item however you want. You might have components provide the information about which
// images to use or item itself or just render text about which components are enabled and which are not.
renderItem(*item);
}
}

// Omitted handling user events etc completely
};

// Setting up
int main() {
Loot loot;
Inventory inventory; // Create inventory

{ // We can for example place initial items to inventory inside this scope. As soon as
// the scope ends weaponToGoToInventory will be automagically gone, but its copies will remain in inventory
Item weaponToGoToInventory;
weaponToGoToInventory.enableWeaponComponent(); // Make the item into actual weapon
inventory.push_back(weaponToGoToInventory); // Push a weapon to inventory
inventory.push_back(weaponToGoToInventory);
// We can push more than one of the same weapon to inventory and it won't crash!
// A full copy will be made each time and since weaponToGoToInventory only exists in this scope, we can just forget about it
}

{
Item genericItem; // Create a generic item
LootItem lootItem(10, 25, genericItem); // Create loot item that is now positioned at (10, 25)
// and holds weapon as it's item
loot.push_back(lootItem); // Push it to loot
}

// Taking last item from loot and placing to inventory.
// A separate class that keeps track of both loot and inventory should normally provide a method for it
// that looks something like this: void lastFromLootToInventory();
Item item=loot.back().getItem(); // We take the item from LootItem
loot.pop_back();
inventory.push_back(item); // And we place it to inventory

InventoryUserInterface inventoryUserInterface; // Create userinterface for displaying inventor(y|ies)
inventoryUserInterface.render(inventory); // Render items in inventory

return 0;
}

Also, don't scrap your code. Even if you decide to rewrite it, it is very useful to have the old code and you can still use large portions of it.
I've downloaded Eclipse, went through 3 tutorials and it still couldn't compile Hello World. Piece of crap, not a tool.
Similar thing happened with Code::Blocks, but I removed it right away after it couldn't compile, I didn't bother.

Does it reach line content = itemAdd; in Container::addItem(Item* itemAdd)?

I've downloaded Eclipse, went through 3 tutorials and it still couldn't compile Hello World. Piece of crap, not a tool.
Similar thing happened with Code::Blocks, but I removed it right away after it couldn't compile, I didn't bother.

Does it reach line content = itemAdd; in Container::addItem(Item* itemAdd)?

Yes, it's only after that that it crashes. Either when it tries to update "content" variable or when it tries to draw from it
I'm sorry Servant of the Lord, I have to disagree strongly.

A "break;" statement in a for loop doesn't make sense. By doing this:

for(vector<Container*>::iterator it = containers.begin(); it != containers.end(); it++)
{
if(!(*it)->getFull())
{
(*it)->addItem(itemAdd);
break;
}
}

You modified a for loop to a while loop. Hence what you really need here is a while loop.
Both works fine, it makes a difference when a Theoretical IT guy needs to verifiy the program.
A for loop is simple, it knows at runtime the exact amount of times the body is executed. A while loop is a bit more complicated. And by camouflaging a for loop in a while loop, you make the poor guy cry.

To the problem: it seems to me your problem lies in your OO class concept, or maybe a missing virtual keyword in a method. If you want to read up on the C++ virual keyword, www.learncpp.com had a good tutorial on it IMO.
I'm sorry, I cannot debug the code from where I currently am.
Project: Project
Setting fire to these damn cows one entry at a time!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement