C# Learning Sources

Started by
28 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 7 months ago
Lance,

That is perfect timing. Actually, everything so far that I have read here at gamedev has been perfect timing.

Yesterday and the day before I spent a few hours researching framework.

Today I spent a couple hours studying scripting languages. All this in the context of game development has helped much.

Now I see that OpenTK has overtaken Tao Framework, but a lot of useful stuff can be learned in Tao and it is still viable, too.

Interesting to me that today I continued looking for information specifically on using C# for game making and look what you brought! smile.png

Yesterday and today I searched for people in the web who make attractive games with C# and there is a sea of them. I even found a major developer who uses C# for making their game engine but I can't remember the name. The game is implemented in C++ which affirms what people say here in these forums that it matters more how the language is used over which language is preferred.

Great stuff!

3Ddreamer

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Advertisement
OpenTK is of course an OpenGL binding (with some other bits thrown in). 4 other options for you:

slimDX - DirectX binding (versions 9, 10 and 11) on windows only.
SharpDX - Another DirectX binding on windows much like slimDX. Some people prefer to use slim, some prefer sharp, entirely upto you.
XNA - A high level DirectX binding and games framework for windows, xbox-360 and windows phone 7.
MonoGame - Much like XNA (near identical to the end user infact) using OpenTK instead of DirectX, supports mac, windows, linux and with the relevant licenses iOS and android. Monogame projects can easily be ported to be XNA projects allowing xbox-360 and windows phone 7. Good luck finding tutorials though, generally its better to learn how to use XNA and then work out Monogame from there.

As for using C# for engine and implementing in C++, your misunderstanding alot here. I'm assuming it was the unity engine which is written in C++ but game code is in C#, its never the other way around (for performance reasons). You are right in it mattering more about how the engine is used though. Badly written C++ will probably give poorer results than well written C# or java, the potential for better performance is still there with C++ though (its just more difficult to exploit).

I do advise learning how to write console applications and getting all the basics of C# down before looking at any of the above libraries otherwise your just going to get confused.

I do advise learning how to write console applications and getting all the basics of C# down before looking at any of the above libraries otherwise your just going to get confused.

Typically, in the context of my early stage here, that would mean Visual Studio and .NET Framework, I understand.

Yes, you are right that I got the cart before the horse with C# and C++. Thanks for correcting me. It was indeed Unity.

This is getting good. biggrin.png

3Ddreamer

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

I'm using Tao ATM, and it's doing great for me. I imagine I'll convert to OpenTK or something else later, but for now... well... "If it ain't broke..." =D

I'm glad I brought something to the table that was useful to you. Let me know how your projects go!

Lance...
OpenTK is forked from tao anyway, monogame then uses OpenTK under the hood aswell, so really the best graphics API's for mono all stem from tao.

Tao's development has basically stopped but it works, if you want to use it you can but documentation is probably a little scare. OpenTK doesn't seem to have alot going on either but hasn't quite stopped completely. Monogame is in full swing but isn't as low level as the other 2. Most XNA tutorials probably apply to monogame too but its probably a good idea to use XNA first before trying to learn monogame, it's not quite 100% identical and doesn't have many tutorials of its own.
It's baby crawling for me at this early stage, but I am happy. Right now I am looking at how I can alter "Hello World".

Thanks,

3Ddreamer

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Looking for portability? Hard to go wrong with Tao, or Unity3D if you're willing to lay down some cash.

I'd recommend XNA for now, actually. Like I told you in another thread, I found it to be an excellent API, with its downside being a general lack of portability. But don't worry about portability now -- get the experience first, portability is easy enough later.

EDIT: Just did some quick research on OpenTK, and it seems like a decent library.
nfries88,

Actually since you mentioned it, I am trying to get everything together at no cost if possible, at least for the first few months. As experience and need demand it, I will probably aquire some paid programs. If I can find a way to go my whole course in game development with no paid programs, then I will but we all know that is very unlikely.

Tao, Unity 3D, and XNA are still on the table. My self-imposed deadline for deciding on a game engine for learning purposes is the last day of this month, this coming Friday. Yes - I am still looking at OpenTK, too.

I am convinced by what many people said that I really can't go wrong with whatever choice I make for a system at this very beginner stage. Some are urging me in different threads to start now, but I feel a whole month of August is reasonable to research and make a decision, so I am sticking to it.

One way or another, I will let people know about my choice for a game development path.

3Ddreamer

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Good day, everyone

What do you think of this game engine, Axiom:
http://www.axiom3d.n...x.php/Main_Page

Any possible challenges that you see with it?

3Ddreamer

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

What do you think of this game engine,

I think that you got hello world working 4 days ago. Getting the programming, program design, and debugging skills needed to work with any engine effectively is still at the very minimum, a few months off.

Worry about it then.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement