When am I qualified?

Started by
13 comments, last by slayemin 11 years, 7 months ago
I'm a self taught programmer, with a BS in 3d art and animation. I have a collection of flash games I've built, and I've spent the last year and a half learning c++, and opengl.

But, since I learned everything I know about programming on my own, I have no idea when I am qualified enough to realistically apply for jobs. I've picked up as much as I can on my own, about software development, coding standards, and such, but since I have minimal real world team development experience, its hard to say where I stand as far as my own skill level.

My target companies, would be small to mid range studios. Larger studios would be nice, but I think that might be a bit unrealistic. My question is, what are companies looking for in a portfolio, that displays competence from a self taught programmer? At what point is it a good idea to start sending out resumes and demo reels and the like?
Advertisement
I'll answer with a question:
How do you plan to know if you're on par with industry professionnals?

Sure we could sit and talk about it, but that would be highly subjective.
I'm assuming you know how to make classes in AS3? But that won't tell me if you comment your code sufficiently and organise it efficiently.

My advice is twofold:
- Find some way (preferably someone) that can tell you whether you've reached that level or not.
- Apply for a job anyway. Worse case, you don't get the job. Middle case, you don't get the job but they tell you why, and you can focus on that. Best case, they give you a chance and you're in for a wild ride: entry-level positions are a whole new school of their own.

Good luck.
Get a job. If you don't get fired in the first couple of months, you're probably qualified for that particular job. There really aren't any hard and fast rules for this sort of thing.

Middle case, you don't get the job but they tell you why, and you can focus on that.

Did anyone actually get an honest response like that ... ever?

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials -> http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +---------------------------------------------------------------------+
Did anyone actually get an honest response like that ... ever?[/quote]

I did once and I came back about a year later at the same company and got hired :P

Did anyone actually get an honest response like that ... ever?

It happens, but like I said, its the middle case...

- Find some way (preferably someone) that can tell you whether you've reached that level or not.

I'm going to Pax Dev at the end of this month, so I'll see who I can meet up with. Maybe I can get some feedback there.

Apply for a job anyway.

Sounds good. Truth be told, I was actually intimidated out of sending out applications if I didn't know they were up to par. While listening to a talk from one of the hiring managers at Obsidian, he, as well as couple of other hiring staff from other companies, were basically saying not to shotgun out applications unless your sure they will impress, saying that if they think your work is sub par, that tends to be how they remember you.

I thought this seemed a bit harsh, but it seems like basically the same as having a bad first impression. At the end of the day, it makes me more than a little bit paranoid. But, your right, I have to actually try eventually.

1. I'm going to Pax Dev at the end of this month, so I'll see who I can meet up with. Maybe I can get some feedback there.
2. I was actually intimidated out of sending out applications if I didn't know they were up to par.
3. basically saying not to shotgun out applications unless your sure they will impress, saying that if they think your work is sub par, that tends to be how they remember you.

1. I don't think you should go with the expectation of getting feedback. I think you should go with the expectation of learning a lot and making some contacts. Read the networking thread on this board.
2. I think you should apply. But you have to apply locally only. Read this board's FAQs.
3. I disagree with that advice. If your first application isn't there yet, just apply again 6 or 12 months later when you've improved. Improvement means a lot (nobody I know chucks an application because he remembers the guy wasn't cooked yet the first time).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I don't think you should go with the expectation of getting feedback

Ah sorry, let me be a bit more specific. I'm not planning on getting feedback from the actual speakers or exhibitors there, rather I'm meeting up with a small developer group that is attending. It's mostly indie developers, but most have experience beyond that.

I think you should apply. But you have to apply locally only.

I agree. I'm in the tail end of saving up money to afford the move out of "West Nowheresville." I figured moving after PAX would be best, since it's likely the largest networking event I'll be able to attend, and it might sway my move location.

3. I disagree with that advice.

That's refreshing to hear. I understand that each individual will obviously have their own unique opinions, not necessarily representative of the group, (in this case, that group being persons in charge of hiring) but I'm always hesitant to write off advice, from someone with far more experience into the subject than myself.

In any case, thanks all for the feedback.

[quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1345092032' post='4970054']
I don't think you should go with the expectation of getting feedback

Ah sorry, let me be a bit more specific. I'm not planning on getting feedback from the actual speakers or exhibitors there, rather I'm meeting up with a small developer group that is attending. It's mostly indie developers, but most have experience beyond that.
[/quote]

I don't think you should go with the expectation of getting feedback. I never said anything about speakers or exhibitors.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement