• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chronos.overlord

[Need helps] setting requirements for 3ds max animtion -> game engine

This topic is 2140 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everybody !
I'm Cuong, a student ( game graphic designer ).

I can make animation , and render cartoon, video clips ; but our project in class required me some extra skills. We're going to make a 3d game in 1.5 month. The thing i want to know is what settings required in 3ds max before export animation file ( FBX ) for game engine ( XNA ) to run.

My friend use biped to make a skeleton and the engine open it right.
But i think some objects ( like creature have many legs , many wings ) that we must create custom bone ( from geometry ). Then i create a custom bone ( from geometry ) -> make it bone ( select bones -> bone edit mode -> bone on ) ---> add hierarchy ( by linking ) -> add skin modifier -> refine envelope -> make a simple animation --> then select bones and mesh --> export selected --> FBX .

The skeleton is very simple :
hiearchy.png

The XNA engine throw out a problem message : "can't find skeleton"

Here is the FBX and MAX file : http://www.mediafire.com/?h02vg7nmfoe8ji9

My other question is : how to name a sequense in 3ds max ? I play with warcraft 3's models and i see they have all the animation sequence ( like death, run , fight , spell...etc ) in one file. Each sequence have a range and a name. How can i do that in max then export a FBX file contain that informations ?

And my final question is : when i play with the animation / bone in 3ds max , i want to make a custom bone that work like a biped.
In this picture : a simple skeleton that have a root, 2 arm , 1 torso, 1 head. ( all bone created from geometry and turn "bone : on" in bone edit mode ). I only give them hierarchy affect to move.

ScreenShot002.png

When i move the arm to right : the bone is move along like this

ScreenShot003.png

The result i want is like the biped : when i move the arm to left, the arm will "rotate" it and its child to upper left , not move the father bone.
Please forgive my bad English (^v^)o , i sincerely thanks for your helps. Plz, i google my ass off a day but i don't find any tutorial about animation-game engine field.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!