It's official: western citizen granted asylum from western tyrants

Started by
71 comments, last by way2lazy2care 11 years, 7 months ago
Because it's expected of me: I must say that The Guardian intentionally fucked up by intentionally tossing their decryption key out into the public forum, intentionally. It's not like they're the only organization committed to "guarding" the planet who has intentionally fucked the dog in terms of redaction, but these guys get a big gold star from me because they tried to capitalize on the whole situation as quickly as possible in order to make a buck. I wonder what Anonymous would think about this kind of situation, where a corporation is preying on an individual.

Bwahahaha. What a fucking joke.

Sorry for the "unexpected" and "unwanted" interruption.
Advertisement

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1345184253' post='4970444']The NYT didn't release the names of any informants to my knowledge.
Wikileaks and it's partners (e.g. NYT) all worked together to perform the same redactions, together, as a team, after the US government refused to assist in the redaction process. It's a huge job to redact 250,000 documents, which is why they all cooperated on it.
Upon what are you basing your opinion that the Wikileaks cables have directly put people in danger where the (same) NYT cables haven't?
He knowingly divulged classified documents including the names of US informants who were still living in hostile territory and in close contact with a force who has publicly said it would kill anybody informing to the US just to make an example of them.
As Journalists are allowed to do, though try very hard to avoid. Do you actually have any proof that this occurred though? The Afghan war logs did unintentionally miss some names in the redaction process (as usual, they asked the US government to help in the redaction process, who refused), and thus named some Afghan informants (though no harm came to them), but the "cablegate" affair was redacted fully. You're regurgitating propaganda again.
[/quote]
It was in the link I posted earlier. The Times of London found names and locations of informants in the wikileaks documents.

edit: It's not propaganda. It happened, you just admitted it happened. Reporters without borders, a freedom of information activist group, publicly called them out on it. The fact that you are labeling it propaganda is just you trying to legitimize your own biases by disenfranchising my counters.

How can you trivialize leaking the names of informants in hostile territory with a group that's publicly threatened informants with death close by? Like I said before, some of what wikileaks is doing is fine. They have, however, crossed the line both legally and ethically.

Doing some good does not excuse you from following the law. It does not excuse you from your ethical and moral responsibilities.

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1345185475' post='4970449']
[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1345184253' post='4970444']The NYT didn't release the names of any informants to my knowledge.
Wikileaks and [NYT] worked together to perform the same redactions.
Upon what are you basing your opinion that the Wikileaks cables have directly put people in danger where the (same) NYT cables haven't?
He knowingly divulged ... the names of US informants
As Journalists are allowed to do, though try very hard to avoid. Do you actually have any proof that this occurred though? The Afghan war logs did unintentionally miss some names in the redaction process ... but the "cablegate" affair was redacted fully.[/quote]
It was in the link I posted earlier. The Times of London found names and locations of informants in the wikileaks documents.

edit: It's not propaganda. It happened, you just admitted it happened. Reporters without borders, a freedom of information activist group, publicly called them out on it. The fact that you are labeling it propaganda is just you trying to legitimize your own biases by disenfranchising my counters.

How can you trivialize leaking the names of informants in hostile territory with a group that's publicly threatened informants with death close by? Like I said before, some of what wikileaks is doing is fine. They have, however, crossed the line both legally and ethically.

Doing some good does not excuse you from following the law. It does not excuse you from your ethical and moral responsibilities.
[/quote]I called this "propaganda" because you're greatly underestimating the amount of redaction that occurred, and exaggerating the impacts caused by mistaken gaps in redaction. For example, you claimed that "In some cases it put families in direct harm", which is complete hyperbole.

Read again: They didn't knowingly publish informants names, the vast majority of these names were redacted, but a small number slipped through. Everyone who published these documents and worked on the redaction process (i.e. Wikileaks, NYT, Guardian, etc) all fucked up there, by accident. It was not their intent to put anyone in harms way, and furthermore, the US govt was forced to admit that, despite trying hard to find a case, they could not find a single case where someone had come to harm because of these leaks (I'd like to think that they 'reeled in' the informants who were put at risk by the leak to prevent this).
This was a huge ethical mishap by the journalists involved, yes, which is why they were even more thorough with future publications, but it wasn't intentional as you claimed.
Further, it was in no way illegal. The people who stole the documents in the first place are legally in the wrong, not the journalists who published them. If you want to claim Wikileaks has broken the law by publishing these, then the NYT and many other media companies are also liable... which isn't the case.

What point are you trying to make here? That journalists aren't always ethical? Saying that Wikileaks has broken the law here is only true if they actually committed the theft in the first place, not if they were journalists publishing the material. A US conviction is going to rest on proving that Assange et al actually participated in the theft, along with Manning.

For a bit of perspective, contrast this accidental leaking of a few informants names with the deliberate leaking of the name of an undercover CIA field agent by the Bush administration for political gain and petty revenge. In that case, no journalists were charged, despite them being the unethical tool that broadcast the dangerous information.

[edit]BTW, it's incredibly frustrating to try and talk to you, way2lazy, as whenever anyone asks you a tricky question about one of your opinions, or demonstrates that you're speaking falsehoods, you simply ignore it and move on to the next bit of nit-picking (not just in this topic either). There's at least half a dozen un-answered questions directed at you here. Maybe I'll join you in this ignorance, it seems cozy...

I called this "propaganda" because you're greatly underestimating the amount of redaction that occurred, and exaggerating the impacts caused by mistaken gaps in redaction. For example, you claimed that "In some cases it put families in direct harm", which is complete hyperbole... and furthermore, the US govt was forced to admit that, despite trying hard to find a case, they could not find a single case where someone had come to harm because of these leaks (I'd like to think that they 'reeled in' the informants who were put at risk by the leak to prevent this).

I'm not hyperbolizing anything with this. The released names and locations of Afghan informants in a hostile region in relatively close proximity to an organization who has publicly announced that it would kill informants. That is all I am saying, and it is verifiable fact. If you do not consider putting informant families in close proximity to a group who has publicly expressed a will to kill informants "direct harm" then I don't see how you can find extraditing Assange to Sweden in any way harmful.

It is truly great that nobody was hurt, but to say that people's lives were not put in any sort of jeopardy is just wrong. Just because you don't get the bullet in Russian roulette doesn't make it a safe game in retrospect.

Read again: They didn't knowingly publish informants names, the vast majority of these names were redacted, but a small number slipped through. Everyone who published these documents and worked on the redaction process (i.e. Wikileaks, NYT, Guardian, etc) all fucked up there, by accident. It was not their intent to put anyone in harms way, [/quote]
I'm aware it may not have been on purpose, but that doesn't mean it doesn't warrant investigation. Similarly accidentally doing wrong does not excuse you from the repercussions. Nor does doing any amount of right excuse you from obeying the law of two countries(UK/Sweden).

What point are you trying to make here? That journalists aren't always ethical? Saying that Wikileaks has broken the law here is only true if they actually committed the theft in the first place, not if they were journalists publishing the material.[/quote]
It's also illegal to solicit people to commit the crime, which, being a site whose express purpose is to leak confidential information, at least warrants investigation.

For a bit of perspective, contrast this accidental leaking of a few informants names with the deliberate leaking of the name of an undercover CIA field agent by the Bush administration for political gain and petty revenge. In that case, no journalists were charged, despite them being the unethical tool that broadcast the dangerous information.[/quote]
You're saying this like I condone that instance or any other instances similar, such as Obama's use of the operation that resulted in the death of Osama Bin Laden. I do not condone either.

[edit]BTW, it's incredibly frustrating to try and talk to you, way2lazy, as whenever anyone asks you a tricky question about one of your opinions, or demonstrates that you're speaking falsehoods, you simply ignore it and move on to the next bit of nit-picking (not just in this topic either). There's at least half a dozen un-answered questions directed at you here. Maybe I'll join you in this ignorance, it seems cozy...
[/quote]
Go back and read your own replies. You're at least as bad as I am. Perhaps it's time to get introspective and realize you're just doing the same thing arguing the opposite perspective.

I started posting in this thread just stating known facts. That was met with hyperbole and alarmism which drew me to give a counter perspective, not necessarily one I believe in, that was equally as hyperbolic on some points. I've stated I was being hyperbolic just to paint the opposite picture on some points previously.

To be clear, you are assuming that Assange shouldn't be extradited after failing his appeal multiple times. You are assuming that Sweden is extraditing him with the express purpose of getting him into American custody. You are assuming that should he be brought into American custody that he will not have a fair trial, and that he will be charged with the death penalty. Without a very solid case I find the latter unlikely as it would cause huge political fallout by the media during an election year.

The most likely scenario is that the US would have extradited him from the UK anyway if it wanted to, but he was already being extradited to Sweden. The US probably didn't want to pressure UK courts with a decision between two extraditions. Sweden and the UK probably don't want to say he won't be extradited to the US because it will break treaties with the US; this does not mean they will not give investigation into extradition before doing/not doing so. This is what I think the most likely situation is, but I'm not running in here screaming foul because the only facts we know are that he is avoiding being questioned in an investigation for his sexual assault of two women in Sweden.

BTW, it's incredibly frustrating to try and talk to you, way2lazy,

Go back and read your own replies. You're at least as bad as I am.
[/quote]

Well, although you two seem to frustrate each other, thank-you both for what seemed to me anyways to be one of the more intelligent discussions on this matter that I have read lately.
Ok, so your point is that the US should be investigating Assange? Ok, good, they are. I'm not sure why you decided to argue this point so fervently when no-one suggested the opposite...
Go back and read your own replies. You're at least as bad as I am.
Point me to somewhere where I've been asked a direct question (you known, a sentence that ends in a "?") and haven't been able to answer it.

If you can, I'll answer it, otherwise I'm out. This is insane.

I started posting in this thread just stating known facts.
All of your posts in this thread, except the last few have been presenting falsehoods as facts!! That is not a perspective issue -- you've been making statements that are provably false, which is not "just stating known facts".
You're extremely ignorant and misinformed about this issue (hence presenting falsehoods), and ignore all evidence presented against your "facts", which is what I was talking about before. How on earth can you go around telling lies, be shown that they are lies, then continue to ignore the evidence to the contrary. I'm not qualified to deal with this, sorry.
Perhaps the release of the decryption key had been an "accident" made under the assumption that the (availability of the) data was time-sensitive. So much for "fact-checking" journalists then!

They fucked the dog, and tried to cover their asses with a non-apology.

So, where does the past self-appointed public spokesperson of Anonymous work? Oh, yeah. I'm sorry, but this blind infatuation with journalists is totally unrealistic; they're professional stalkers who sell strife, by definition.

So, where does the past self-appointed public spokesperson of Anonymous work? Oh, yeah. I'm sorry, but this blind infatuation with journalists is totally unrealistic; they're professional stalkers who sell strife, by definition.

For which definition of "journalist?"

edit: On topic: http://www.smh.com.au/national/us-intends-to-chase-assange-cables-show-20120817-24e1l.html

As a side note, Ecuador seems very intent on doing whatever pisses the US off the most. Have fun trading with the West in the next century smile.png

Also, just wanted to clarify that my first post was what I perceived the media opinion in Sweden, not mine.
My personal opinion is that I find it extremely dodgy that we're going through so much trouble to question him for a crime where its extremely difficult (in Sweden) to prosecute anyone for - even with solid evidence.

You have to ignore the Bonniers and Schibsted owned media, They are both extremely biased. (Unfortunatly those 2 companies own pretty much all swedish media so there isn't that many trustworthy sources of news available, usually its best to browse around foreign newssites aswell (Our situation is pretty much like the one in the US where the big media companies are essentially pushing their own agendas mixing heavily biased news reporting with tabloid articles)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Here in Sweden we're pretty convinced he should be put on trial for rape. He's got nothing to hide... right?

USA should let him do the same and release all the information he has, they have nothing to hide... right? ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement