15 Good DAWs

Started by
44 comments, last by Zioma 4 years, 9 months ago
I'm not going to get into which is the "best" but this is a good starting list for anyone new to music/audio production and wants to know what options are out there. Most (if not all) of these programs feature some kind of trial or demo mode and I HIGHLY recommend taking a few out for a spin to see which jives with you the best.

http://www.musicrada...-today-238905/1

And remember: the only thing that really matters in the end is the music. So if you can create the best work fastest on a $50 DAW, then go for it.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement

Reaper has been getting so much good press and praise that I'm tempted to at least download the demo and give it a try. I've talked to a few people who have started using it for game audio due to the ReaScript feature (an option that allows users to run python scripting within the DAW). Sounds interesting for sound designers who can also code and are looking for alternative ways to do implementation.

Personally, I use Logic Studio (for music composition and sound effects) and Pro Tools (for recording, editing, mixing and mastering).

The last year or so I've been using Reaper and I have to say its been the easiest and fastest for me to use :) I definitely recommend it!

Reaper is, indeed, very strong! I mainly use Logic Pro right now with Reason for certain sounds or Pro Tools when I'm editing tons of dialog.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I personally have had the best experience with Cubase. Excellent advanced MIDI capabilities, and it works really well for scoring to picture.

I heard that Reason is lacking when it comes to scoring to picture? Or maybe that was Reaper.... i always get those two mixed up.

Custom music and audio: www.jaydenlawrence.com

I've used a lot of DAW and I chose Reason but I'm not sure how well it will work with video games. My bro and business partner loves Ableton Lives and says its very easy to use and mix in.

I use Reaper mostly and it works quite well. Ableton is also very nice if you want to test your interactive audio and be able to change the instruments or melodies on the fly.

We are working mainly with sound design for both video games and movies. And we love using Logic Pro 9 for this kind of work. Yes, it has it flaws on some points but in the end it has worked perfectly with no problem everytime!

Have also worked in: Cubase, Pro Tools, Ableton, Audition, Reaper and more. But never liked the feeling when working in them.

//

Erik Gustavsson - Sound Designer

http://www.extremeaudiorecording.com

my 5 cents on the topic:

these are the DAWs i'd personally suggest, should anyone ask me what to use for (or atleast get started with) music production.

there are plenty more worthy candidates, but these are the ones i'd narrow it down to.

old (as in mature), bit expensive but tried and true industry go-to's with a more traditional workflow:

- Logic

- Cubase

- Pro-Tools

less mature, less pricey, more or less traditional workflow:

- Reaper

- Studio One

less mature, less pricey, different take on the workflow, emphasis on ease of use, quick prototyping, jamming and live perfomances:

(although FL Studio is a bit messy at first glance, luckily there's tons of tutorials on youtube for it)

- Ableton Live

- FL Studio

- Bitwig

1. the more traditional DAWs usually take a bit longer time to get comfortable in.

2. less traditional DAWs, due to their workflow design being geared towards ease of use, usually take shorter amount of time to get comfortable in.

3. cheaper (in DAW universe atleast) doesn't necessarily mean a major difference in quality, although amount of / quality of plugins and added material vary with price tag.

4. mastering how to use one particular DAW adds way more to your production quality than the actual choice of DAW does.

5. mastering different aspects of several DAWs is a good idea, as they excel in different areas.

Ableton Live has a great workflow, but not so good mixing, Logic on the other hand is great for mixing and mastering.

6. best choice of DAW is _always_ the one that makes you most happy working in, no matter which features the competition has that your DAW lacks :)

good luck, and happy sequencing!

Sonar is my love ;) And nothing else matters. Though, Reaper is very good, too.

Arthur Baryshev

Music composer, sound designer, producer

IK-Sound

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ik-sound

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/IK-Sound/173396566051030

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement