Where can we find funding for Game Development

Started by
4 comments, last by Navyman 11 years, 7 months ago
pc_rom_cover_and_disk_by_furrypigdog-d5bga19.png
Was wondering where it is possible to find funding for game development if any. We are in the concept stage of the game and would like to hire a few more artists and someone familiar with UDK, but lack the funds. Our game is called Rust. We currently have tried kickstarter, but it does not look like that is going to work out. Here is the link there so you can see details about the game http://kck.st/Of10r8

I am not trying to advertise kickstarter this is a serious question.
Advertisement
Ok...

Firstly, IF THERE IS ANY INFO YOU NEED BEFORE YOU DONATE FEEL FREE TO ASK
RUST:
Rust is based on Mars 50,000 years ago. This is the time period when some scientist believe that there was life on Mars.
The planet is slowly slipping away from habitable as pollutants fill the atmosphere. The Achumoc Empire of Tharsis has
enslaved most of the inhabitants and forced them to mine for the precious ores found under the volcanic regions of the
planet.
The main character (Player) is part of a secret resistance group called R.U.S.T (Rebel Underground Society of Tharsis).
As the main character you can choose from 4 different races to play as: The Achumocs, The Ra'ak, The Chryyk, or The Telepsyonians.

This is story

You are tasked with stopping the Achumoc Empire from over mining the planet, in this MASSIVE open-world planet you can explore
hundreds of locations, stay on the main story-line or make your own, Buy updated armor and weapons with the in-game economy or
play multi-player with your friends in an Online MMORPG!
Future updates we have planned: More Races, Expanding the Planet, Owning Property, Raising Armies and Much More!

This is generic/deja vu

Basically, you're not selling anything here. I really can't tell from this description whether your game has any chance to be a hit. I, as one of many potential 'investors' through the use of kickstarter have no idea whether you're worth my bucks.

Before delving into the where you can get funding, you need to upsell this concept. How is it unique? What part of your gameplay (not story) will make me want to buy your game instead of any other similar title?

If your idea was more fleshed out, you'd probably have more on kickstarter right now, and if you can't get much more than that on kickstarter, I doubt you'll convince investors from pitching you money.
I'd suggest working on your business plan first and get back to the dragon's den afterwards.
Honestly guys I think you are getting ahead of the ball here. I would suggest looking into video game project management before going any further so that you get a better understanding of the production process. There is a book by Jeannie Novak entitled game project management that you can get from Amazon. It should be helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Development-Essentials-Project-Management/dp/1418015415/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345336666&sr=8-1&keywords=Game+development+project+management

As well, if you are unable to raise funds using kickstarter successfully, the problem is most definitely not kickstarter but instead that your kickstarter is not captivating enough for somebody to put money into with good faith. This doesnt mean that your concept is bad but rather your pitch or rewards are not adequate enough for somebody to take interest.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Adam Spade

Composer, Sound Designer

http://www.adamspade.com

Executive Producer

Uncaged Games LLC
"Release your inner game."

The information i'm missing from the kickstarter page is:

Who exactly is leading this team ? , What experience does he/she have ? (Previous work ?)
Has anyone on the team made a game before ?

What is the current progress ?

From the look of things you got just under 2 months planned for programming and around 2 months for artwork, isn't this a bit short for a open world MMO ?
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Not to plug my own post here, but seriously go read this: http://blog.betable.com/how-to-succeed-on-kickstarter/

There's a lot of tips there that are applicable to your project. I agree with the above comments as well that the story needs work. When writing a pitch, try the following format:

1. Attention
  2. Interest
  3. Desire
  4. Action

So it would be like

1. What if Mars was not always a desert?
  2. The fact is: it wasn't Mars was destroyed 50,000 years ago when it's human population destroyed the ecosystem and stripped it of resources.
  3. Now you have the chance to go back in time and save the planet and it's people from extinction in a massive, open MMORPG.
  4. Act now to make this game a reality.

See how that defines the pitch? That's going to be a much stronger sell than the simple story, but doesn't leave the story out of it.
I work for Betable, a game monetization platform. I also write about startups, gaming, and marketing.
Thanks for the link to the blog!

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement