Help Wanted Classifieds

Started by
6 comments, last by be-the-hero.net 11 years, 7 months ago
How do you guys like the Classifieds section instead of old Help Wanted forum?

I think it's really cool, but I liked the old forum more. There was much more activity back then than it is now in Classifieds. Is there any other forum or place to post your project and look for help similar to the old Help Wanted?
Advertisement
I wish there was. I've gotten a few nibbles and bites on what little info I was allowed to post, but if you're an Indie developer, like I am, then you really don't have much leeway on this site. That's why I use the Unity Forums instead. I'm sorry if it's considered a no-no to fish for talented people for a profit-sharing venture around here, but it's still capitalism.

Those who are interested should be able to make their own decisions, laisez-faire, if you will.
We are gradually getting more activity in Classifieds after a quiet start, but it's definitely an area of the site that will need more work over time.

I'm seeing very little -- almost no -- usage of the "feedback" feature, which allows users to ask questions of a classifieds advertiser and publicly receive a response. Were you guys aware of this feature, and have you used it at all? Do we need to make it more visible?

I'd absolutely encourage anyone looking for help to try multiple sites. DevMaster also have a recruiting forum, and there are communities focused around most popular engines or tool sets -- Unity, UDK, etc. -- which you could use as appropriate.

I'm sorry if it's considered a no-no to fish for talented people for a profit-sharing venture around here

Absolutely not -- you are more than welcome to advertise a profit-sharing project -- the only restriction (other than what applies to all recruiting) we place on such projects is that they must not be listed as paid work, given that in the overwhelming majority of cases they simply don't result in any income for participants.

As for why all recruiting is confined to Classifieds rather than the forums -- we'd be overrun with recruiting scattered all over the site otherwise.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I feel bad for feeling this way but...

I really miss all those MMORPG threads and other flame wars on the old help wanted forums ^^

I feel bad for feeling this way but...

I really miss all those MMORPG threads and other flame wars on the old help wanted forums ^^

Hehe, I can say I agree with this one. Old Help Wanted forum was much more "alive" than Classifieds, despite all the spam and MMORPGs. It felt much better, I felt much more energy and enthusiasm there. Classifieds are definitely a step forward, but looks like the community doesn't like it as much as they did the old forum. And it is supposed to be there because of the community, right? smile.png

@jbadams: Anyway, I think you did a great job with Classifieds, it just didn't make so much impact on the community. Btw. I sent you two e-mails regarding this couple of months ago. I gave you some feedback and suggestions, I never got a reply though sad.png Do you maybe remember ever getting those e-mails?

EDIT: Actually, I'm wrong. I sent those e-mails to Dave Astle, not you, my mistake. Still didn't get a reply.
@nveron: I haven't seen the original emails you sent to Dave, but if you have feedback and suggestions I'd absolutely love to hear them. You can either post them here in the Comments, Suggestions & Ideas forum, or email me at [email="jastleadams@gmail.com"]jastleadams@gmail.com[/email] -- it might take a couple of days if I'm busy at the time, but I guarantee you'll get a response. smile.png

More generally, we currently have a known issue with renewing classified ads that we'll hopefully be able to fix soon, and are planning to overhaul the submission interface to be more user friendly. We'll also be providing some more help documentation. Any other suggestions would still be very welcome, and I'd like to hear any feedback you might have about your experiences using the system.

- Jason Astle-Adams

@jbadams: I was just writing a personal message to you while you were writing this reply. :) Thanks for writing your e-mail address, we'll definitely be in touch and I'd like to hear more about your plans and maybe help you with my ideas and suggestions.
Yeah, the old "help wanted" forum had a nice touch and was more alive, more interactive. That's true.
...but, as you said, there were a lot of low quality threads.
I think that with the classifieds, they attempt to encourage better planned projects ...however, this comes at the cost of less traffic/interest in this section.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement