Income distribution in independent team

Started by
15 comments, last by bschmidt1962 11 years, 8 months ago
Hey,
I'm planning to gather a few people to my team and I would like to fairly distribute any income from the game. In the team will be probably:
1 sounds/music designer
2 or 1 spriter
and me as programmer.

Let's bet here:
sound/music designer is to create about 10 songs and about 120 sounds (like running, punching, and sounds for skill effects).
1 spriter is to create about 250 - 300 sprites
and me programmer - I've already spent 2 years creating the game alone. I've written whole engine. It's action 2d side scroller. I've created graphical user interface which is possible to modify via .txt files(using CEGUI), basic input(keyboard, mouse, sounds), and I'm going to code advanced network(using UDP). I've implemented also possibility that players can create their own mods/characters/skills via .txt files. I've created also map editor for modders to easily create stages. I will also have to create a website/forum for the game.

How should the income be divided to make it fair for everyone? I would be very grateful for any help!
Advertisement

How should the income be divided to make it fair for everyone?

What does your collaboration agreement say?
What's that, you don't have a collaboration agreement?
You negotiate the compensation with each individual, and you write it up on paper, with a lawyer's help.
http://underdevelopmentlaw.com/collaboration-agreements-and-online-development-teams/
Notice that word "negotiate."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Also, who is taking the financial risk in your team?
I'm assuming you'll have some form of expenses to make at some point (publishing, hosting, etc)?
Thanks a lot for answers!
Tom Sloper,
Actually I'm currently looking for people to my team and I'm far from the stage in which I'll want to make an agreement. But people might be curious about how high income they could receive and so I'm not sure what to say not to turn out being an idiot or a fool?
Orymus4,
Financial risks would be taken by me I guess. However the game would have offline mode as well so if we couldn't afford server, the game would be offline. and only the income above server costs would be shared.

Could anybody think of some reasonable distribution? (in % of whole income above server costs)

Could anybody think of some reasonable distribution? (in % of whole income above server costs)

Yes. Lots of people have talked about this, right here in the Business forum. Why don't you do some reading, see what people have suggested and tried and argued for and against.

We clock hours and pay for work on the game. Amount of hours also goes towards a pool. The pay is based upon work so everybody is treated fairly.

Adam Spade

Composer, Sound Designer

http://www.adamspade.com

Executive Producer

Uncaged Games LLC
"Release your inner game."

Orymus4,

My number just got promoted :)

Financial risks would be taken by me I guess. However the game would have offline mode as well so if we couldn't afford server, the game would be offline. and only the income above server costs would be shared.

It might be a mistake to consider only server bandwidth as potential cause of money drain in a production environment.

Also, this may look like a small detail, but are you considering split profit or split income?
In a split income arrangement, the person who spent money is going to rake cash until spendings are evened out, which can't be said of split income (sales) where you may not get a priority on paying back your initial investments.
I don't foresee any huge cash spending other than the server costs (which I don't think will be high or maybe a free server would be enough for a start?). Therefore I think I'm closer to split profit arrangement, not to complicate it too much. At first I didn't see difference between those words: profit and income. Sorry, I'm not native ^^
I think it depends on the type of contract that you are going to make.

Are you going to found a company with those people?
Are you planing on making them employees?
Are you outsourcing the work to them as freelancers?

I think I'm closer to split profit arrangement, not to complicate it too much.

Then you need to keep a detailed accounting of expenses. You have to be able to show, on paper, with backing evidence, why certain moneys are withheld in the calculation of profits.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement