Realistic Encouragement vs Trolling Tear-down

Started by
78 comments, last by birko19 11 years, 7 months ago

The thing is that some people work hard programming certain things, and on teams nonetheless, and then some inexperienced self-confident idiot just says that he is going to make something better than that over the weekend. Obviously he has no experience, but it is almost fun to just mess around with him and make him feel overwhelmed by sarcasm.

That's exactly the kind of behavior we don't want.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Advertisement
Remember - Friendship Is MAGIC!

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

@ApochPiQ: Agreed. Everybody has moments of overconfidence at times. Heck, back at university I thought I'd proved P != NP and I was going to be famous. Turns out my lecturer was having a slow day and hadn't seen the gaping hole in my proof. Such is life. Just explain, set them straight. No need to ham it up or smother them in sarcasm. If someone continues off into delusion-land after being set straight... well, that's a matter of personal opinion. There's always that 0.001% chance that they're actually a genius and they're right.
If you know next to nothing about programming, and you want to make an MMORPG, I would encourage you to learn the basics of programming.

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Game Dev video tutorials -> http://www.youtube.com/goranmilovano | +---------------------------------------------------------------------+
@MrJoshL: I both agree and disagree about the art thing. Can you make an interactive work of art using computers? I would say definitely yes. Did adding movement to pictures stop it being art? No. Did adding sound stop it being art? No. Why would adding interactivity stop it being art? Having said that, is the common conception of a game an obstacle to being art? Perhaps. Competitiveness (even against the environment or yourself) tends to destroy the contemplative mood that art is normally viewed in. Interactivity also increases the audience's role and decreases the author's role. Even in a very serious dramatic game, people can choose to act like douches. Regarding the modern art movement, I went to the Guggenheim some years back. Big disappointment to me. I can't say that the art made no statement or had no value, but it was just ridiculously inaccessible. In my view if the general population has almost no chance of understanding what a piece of art means, it's incomplete. The missing part is the placard that explains why they did what they did, what their background was, etc. Maybe not 100%. Art doesn't need to be explained to death. But realistically a white box on top of a bigger white box, or a canvas covered in blowflies... is missing so much context that nobody could hope to understand it who didn't already know the artist or their influences.
We need to always be helpful, but keep in mind that sometimes people genuinely aren't interested enough.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

MrJoshL, some simple advice - Stop generalising.
Let's keep further replies in this thread on-topic. If you feel compelled to debate the merits of games vis-a-vis art, please do so in a separate thread.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Yes, there are realities and requirements that you must satisfy before you're ready to get a job at that big game company, or to start your own game studio, or whatever your dream is, but if you want it badly enough, then you wont let the nay-sayers tell you what you can and can't do

Look, I agree that toying with beginners is evil, wrong, etc.

Hell, I tend to sit a little closer to the "harsh hand of reality" side of advice than is optimal.

All that said, I tire quickly of the "you can do anything with the right work ethic!" advice that this quote seems to entail and is somewhat common on the forums. This implies that the beginner who's off trying to write World of Warcraft x100 in hand rolled assembly is failing because they're not trying hard enough. This is (to be generous) not helpful to the beginner.

The fact of the matter is that a large number of people can't do it. Worse, a good number of people can't ever do it. I can't be a pro football player. It's no slight on me that I'm not in the top fraction of a percentile of athletic ability. Certainly the criteria to work on a AAA game title are less strict, but the same sort of things apply. There are tons more wildly passionate candidates than there are positions. Passion and persistence alone will never be enough.

The sooner that beginners realize this, the sooner they can see if this path is really the best use of their talents, and if it is then the sooner they can start working on developing the necessary skills.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement