Realistic Encouragement vs Trolling Tear-down

Started by
78 comments, last by birko19 11 years, 8 months ago

Well, yeah, szecs....

I don't intend to go on the attack on anyone in particular, but many of the people who are hostile to the lazy people and saying that they will never amount to anything are themselves not being professional about it by wasting time in judging the lazy people. ohmy.png

Remember that if you point the finger you got your other ones pointing at yourself? laugh.png

Come now, people, you can do better than that, but it will take compassion. In the long run, emotional intelligence is far more important than programming knowledge.

I am done here. tongue.png

3Ddreamer

See, here's the thing...

I don't see these threads you are talking about, I don't see these posters you are talking about, and when such threads do occur, I see the moderators doing their job.

Put frankly, intended or not, you and the OP are effectively insulting the community and moderation of this website, something I personally don't take kindly too.
Advertisement

Guys, I really hate this attitude of judgement on a stranger like this. You don't know what they are handling in their life. We are all very busy people and some folks are so pressed for time that they literally have no spare time to google or troll the forums at the time they posted.

That's right. We are all very busy, and filling the forums with duplicate questions and FAQ questions are a waste of our time. How many people look at a question? A few hundred? Even if that only takes a second (it doesn't) then not spending the 30 seconds to do a simple google search has wasted multiples of time for the community to save yourself a few seconds.

It is selfish.
It shows a complete lack of consideration for others.

Maybe it's not proper to troll these people or bash them overly much, but these forums don't really suffer from that. But those posters do need to be educated in no uncertain terms to not do that in the future.
Why are you saying those things to me? Do I bash?
What you are doing here now IS trolling.

Close this thread please.

Guys, I really hate this attitude of judgement on a stranger like this. You don't know what they are handling in their life. We are all very busy people and some folks are so pressed for time that they literally have no spare time to google or troll the forums at the time they posted. Others may have some kind of disability but want to make games. You can't really think you know every motive for a first time post, do you?

I agree with Serapth on this point. Game programming takes lots of time and effort, and a lot of patience. If one doesn't have the time and patience to do even a few tens of minutes of research on a given topic, how is one ever going to find the time and patience to actually work on a game? Now, I often see that posters here are often willing to ignore that in order to help people, but I'd argue that there are times when this needs to be emphasized if not merely pointed out at least.

don't intend to go on the attack on anyone in particular, but many of the people who are hostile to the lazy people and saying that they will never amount to anything are themselves not being professional about it by wasting time in judging the lazy people.[/quote]

You're right, they ARE wasting time. They are wasting time that could be spent working on their own projects. They're wasting time that could be spent with their families, or spent entertaining themselves, or working on hobbies completely unrelated to programming. Some people even waste time at work - all in order to try to help people with what they're doing. That the advice isn't immediately perceived as helpful does not change the fact that the vast majority of posters here post because they want to - not because they have to.

Saying that someone will "never amount to anything" is a bit uncalled for, I must say, but pointing out genuine laziness (and pointing out the lack of merit thereof) I think should be perfectly fair game, especially if it helps the lazy person get over their laziness. I must also say that I've never seen anything like you're describing. Methinks that there is a good deal of hyperbole in this thread.

Come now, people, you can do better than that, but it will take compassion. In the long run, emotional intelligence is far more important than programming knowledge.[/quote]

More important for what, specifically? Speaking from experience, there exist cases where programming ability/knowledge is definitely more important than "emotional intelligence".
I just read the first post of this and I cant beleive how awe-inspiring that was... seriously. That just blew me away. Thats the encouragement i needed, but didnt know I needed... I cant describe my feelings on this enough without screwing up my what my initial reaction was. The programs and games I have made so far are only texts so no colors, sounds, shapes, or any of that awesome stuff but now that I heard that "speech"..... its just awesome. Thanks for that.

~Saint Squireen
I don't believe anyone should belittle a new programmer, or game designer, however as with any topic you can address the new comer in a more constructive and civil manner. If they're talking about making the next AAA title in two weeks with no prior experience simply not responding to their post is better then tossing an insult. Everyone should be allowed to dream because if we couldn't set goals higher than what we could normally achieve, technogly would not be at it's current state today! I remember stories from people in their 70's still laughing about the idea of using a "card" to pay for things, yet it's here...

New programers can save themselves a lot of grief by sharing ideas and only sharing a game they're planing to make once they have some form of a visual or playable demo.

The key to any conversation online or offline is that no matter what you say, someone out there will always have an opinion, good or bad. Work on your ideas, and weed out the good from the bad when it comes to comments.
GameDev Journal: http://www.gamedev.n...-rooks-journal/

OpenChess - 1.0 done!

Classic RPG #1 - Task 9 -> January 1st 2013

I don't believe anyone should belittle a new programmer, or game designer, however as with any topic you can address the new comer in a more constructive and civil manner. If they're talking about making the next AAA title in two weeks with no prior experience simply not responding to their post is better then tossing an insult.

Can you please give a specific example of this happening? Anyone? Either no one has been able to link to a specific thread and say "Here is an example of this trolling tear-down" or I've overlooked it. I certainly don't think we should be insulting or belittling people (except for maybe trolls themselves, but even then you're just feeding them, and they usually get banned/suspended/warned pretty quickly by the great mods), but honestly, I can't remember a time when a sincere beginner was insulted or deliberately belittled by an older, more experienced member. The last time I saw one member insulting another member, it was a younger, less experienced member insulting an older, more experienced member.

Honestly, I feel like we're on a witch hunt here.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
It seems I need to post in For Beginners from now on, to be afforded the same generosities.

It seems I need to post in For Beginners from now on, to be afforded the same generosities.

You already have a thread for voicing your complaints about this. Please keep it out of other discussions.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

[quote name='Black-Rook' timestamp='1345766950' post='4972811']
I don't believe anyone should belittle a new programmer, or game designer, however as with any topic you can address the new comer in a more constructive and civil manner. If they're talking about making the next AAA title in two weeks with no prior experience simply not responding to their post is better then tossing an insult.

Can you please give a specific example of this happening? Anyone? Either no one has been able to link to a specific thread and say "Here is an example of this trolling tear-down" or I've overlooked it. I certainly don't think we should be insulting or belittling people (except for maybe trolls themselves, but even then you're just feeding them, and they usually get banned/suspended/warned pretty quickly by the great mods), but honestly, I can't remember a time when a sincere beginner was insulted or deliberately belittled by an older, more experienced member. The last time I saw one member insulting another member, it was a younger, less experienced member insulting an older, more experienced member.

Honestly, I feel like we're on a witch hunt here.
[/quote]

My post is voicing an opinion. "I don't believe anyone should belittle a new programmer", I never said anyone did this on the GameDev forums. Yes, I've seen this in the past many years ago, however since then, stricter rules and enforcement have been put into place.
GameDev Journal: http://www.gamedev.n...-rooks-journal/

OpenChess - 1.0 done!

Classic RPG #1 - Task 9 -> January 1st 2013

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement