Realistic Encouragement vs Trolling Tear-down

Started by
78 comments, last by birko19 11 years, 7 months ago
I've lurked here for a long time, and have been a Senior Programmer/Systems analyst for 15 years. Occasionally I see a beginning game programmer, full of dreams and desires end up having those dreams crushed by those who would have them believe they are naive, too inexperienced, and stupid for not being able to see it. While I appreciate those who are trying to educate about the realities of the gaming industry, and encourage as they do it, I think it is taken too far by a select few. These few use their knowledge to appear superior to their peers, and really have little motive for "helping" beyond that. My message is not for them. (It wouldn't do any good if it was.)

My message is for the downtrodden who now feel their GameDev dream is out of reach, who are frustrated and considering giving up, and who might be feeling that perhaps the mean-hearted claims of those mentioned above are correct. Don't give up. Yes, there are realities and requirements that you must satisfy before you're ready to get a job at that big game company, or to start your own game studio, or whatever your dream is, but if you want it badly enough, then you wont let the nay-sayers tell you what you can and can't do. Did you know the Walt Disney was fired by a newspaper editor because he "lacked imagination and had no good ideas"? Most of us laugh at the idea right now. He didn't let that newspaper editor tell him what he was capable of, and neither should you. Go out, do your research, learn about the industry, learn your trade, grab your dream by the horns and make it yours. Be realistic, but don't let anybody tell you you can't make it. You're better than that, and you owe it to yourself to make the most of what you want. I did once, and now I'm doing it again. So can you.

Lance...
Advertisement
In the For Beginners forum in particular, we take a pretty hard stance on people being excessively negative towards these exact people.

To that end, if you see something that you feel is abusive or overly harsh towards a beginner, please feel free to report it to a moderator using the Report link under the post in question.

We take our community friendliness very seriously, so don't hesitate to bring it to our attention where there are people who are not being nice.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Thank you for your encouragement Lance42, I'm a new designer and I've been in the discouraged category for a long time. This brought me some new insight, thank you.
also a beginner here and although i personally never felt discouraged by the forum members, this post definitely motivates me :)

My personal blog on game development!

Black Wolf Game Development

A great message lance, thanks.
'Knowledge isn't key, but understanding...'

My qualifcations are not here to showcase, but for those I answer and ask, to get a better idea on my knowledge.

BCS Level 2 Certificate for IT Users (ECDL Part 2)
OCR Level 2 National Award in Business
Level 2 First Diploma in Media
Level 3 Diploma in Games Design and Development Extended
BSc Hons in Computer Games Programming (Current - 1st Year)
Call be devil's advocate here, but I would advise against trying to divide people into those who are helpful and those who go over the top in providing a reality check, or whatever it is people do. It's all shades of grey, finding the middle ground between going overboard with a reality check vs leading someone on to the point they have been convinced that their own idea is a great idea, only to eventually fall flat on their face when it just cant work in practice. Yes its possible to be too encouraging, though you're right that this is less of a problem.

Also, consider that a lot of people who are generally very helpful, or at least sometimes quite helpful do have bad days where their tolerance has run out, and sometimes lose patience with those who do not allow themselves to be helped easily.

People have vastly differing personality types. Some people very much like strong criticism, and would see encouragement as not useful, while others just want some moral support and don't want to hear what they're done wrong. It is sometimes hard to know how to respond in the ideal manner.

And finally, I must say that the overall quality of posting on this forums superseeds any I've seen on other programming forums.

That all said, thanks for that valuable post and it is something that the more people read the better.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
It is a balancing act. I think realistically you don't want people thinking that they will create the "bestest game evar" on their first shot, which is like saying that sport X looks pretty cool, you'd like to take a shot at the Olympics in it next year. Having said that, everybody starts somewhere, even the ID or Crysis teams. I think it's a fine aspiration to either investigate a new technology because it's fun and exciting (while understanding that there's a lot more to games than a technology), or to rescope your ambitions to something you can make right now, and finish it unlike many of the people out there.

But yes, guide people, guide. Don't shut the beginners down on their first post. By all means point out that what they want to do is harder than they expect, but let that be a challenge. Or point out all the games that flourished on that something that set them apart rather than excellence in every field.
Very well said Lance -- and as ApochPiQ says, we do try to keep things more civil in the For Beginners forum. In our other technical forums we tend to value correctness over a feel-good type of post, but even then there's no need to tear most people down. You should absolutely report any post that you think might cross a line for moderator attention.

Some people need -- or might even want -- a good reality check, so it can sometimes be difficult to judge the situation.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I think we should all be encouraging, because being encouraging is what we DIDN'T encounter as beginners (at least on the internet), and we should try to stop the hostile "elitist" attitude toward beginners, because everyone is a beginner compared to the next bigger fish.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

Very encouraging post, OP. However, I think there's still a misconception that newbs pursue game development to become paid professionals. If we changed the original post just slightly to encompass all pursuits, then it'll be wicked awesome. To any and all, make a game because you want to, because you can. It doesn't matter if it sells or anyone plays it. Just do it because you are driven to. If games are to become a true art medium (Roger Ebert may be correct about the state of it), everyone needs to be free to create them, and it needs to be as simple as picking up a stick and drawing something in the sand. Then, who's to say, what possibilities ANYONE can come up with?
Be part of the man/machine revolution. SDXM 2D game engine.
www.eastfist.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement