Sign in to follow this  
Lance Mazon

Realistic Encouragement vs Trolling Tear-down

birko19    151
[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1345839326' post='4973099']
[quote name='Black-Rook' timestamp='1345790441' post='4972904']
My post is voicing an opinion. [u][b]"I don't believe anyone should belittle a new programmer"[/b][/u], I never said anyone did this on the GameDev forums. Yes, I've seen this in the past many years ago, however since then, stricter rules and enforcement have been put into place.
[/quote]
Your opinion is fine. I guess I'm just trying to say what Serapth said... I don't get why this is a 4 page discussion on this site if it's not a problem. Hence, I feel like it's a "witch hunt" to kill a beast that doesn't exist here.
[/quote]

This problem does exist, maybe not on this forum but in life. I suppose it's a message for those who are trying and may run into such beasts. The message is not to give up if you really want to do it.

Lance Mazon    339
I guess I should give my motivations for posting this. I have not personally been the victim of this, but I know a 12 year old boy who received two private messages on this forum in response to his posting that drove him to tears, and it took me several weeks to get him to give GameDev another try. I do believe the messages were reported, and proper action taken, but the damage had already been done. In addition to that, I've seen it happen elsewhere as well. I think the message is needed here, which is why I posted it. And remember, my message wasn't to the people who are DOING this, it's to the people that are the victims. I'm not saying "stop being mean!". I'm saying "if it happens to you, don't let them discourage you. Do your study, learn your craft, and win.".

Hopefully that adds some clarification to both my motives and my audience. Again, thank you to all who are commenting. And to those who the post inspired, I'm glad. Once you get where you're going, be sure to come back and inspire someone else. =]

Lance...

Oberon_Command    6082
[quote name='Lance42' timestamp='1345848844' post='4973132']
I guess I should give my motivations for posting this. I have not personally been the victim of this, but I know a 12 year old boy who received two private messages on this forum in response to his posting that drove him to tears, and it took me several weeks to get him to give GameDev another try.[/quote]

Don't you have to be at least 13 to join the forums? I seem to remember waiting until I was 13 before I signed up because I was under the impression that this was the case. Did that rule change? Edited by Oberon_Command

Bacterius    13165
[quote name='birko19' timestamp='1345815510' post='4972975']
The first day of classes I walked in, the same teacher came up to me and asked me to leave his class because I was "not good enough" and I will "never do anything in the computer industry", he went on to say that he refuses to teach me even though it was his job and I had the eligibility.
[/quote]
[OT] This is different from an internet forum though, it is actually illegal for a teacher to refuse to teach a particular student. I hope you brought this up to the school board or wherever it should have been taken, even if it wouldn't have gotten you into the course anyhow. These kinds of teachers should not be teaching. Edited by Bacterius

birko19    151
[quote name='Bacterius' timestamp='1345854978' post='4973156']
[quote name='birko19' timestamp='1345815510' post='4972975']
The first day of classes I walked in, the same teacher came up to me and asked me to leave his class because I was "not good enough" and I will "never do anything in the computer industry", he went on to say that he refuses to teach me even though it was his job and I had the eligibility.
[/quote]
[OT] This is different from an internet forum though, it is actually illegal for a teacher to refuse to teach a particular student. I hope you brought this up to the school board or wherever it should have been taken, even if it wouldn't have gotten you into the course anyhow. These kinds of teachers should not be teaching.
[/quote]

This was like 12 years ago, and when I did bring it up to the guidance adviser, he calmly took his side and just advised me to register in another course, considering that all I wanted to do was graduate at the time, I did not make a big fuss out of it and moved on. Edited by birko19