Help! I'm trying to make a game.

Started by
44 comments, last by Dragonsoulj 11 years, 8 months ago
Tutorials aren't really useful unless you are looking for something peculiar that you have absolutely no knowledge in. For example you want to implement an AI for Pac-Man and want to use a smart algorithm to achieve it or how to implement parralax scrolling. Otherwise just pick a language you like using and feel proficient with and just experiment.

There's no better way learning than diving in. It's pointless to read books and follow tutorials if you do not apply them practically.

Besides Kripis, you seem to be conflicted with your choices. I remember helping you out with some basic console application in C++ and you barely knew what an array was. I think you have all the tools necessary to start your own small games, this thread has MORE than answered your concerns.

[size=1]I "surf" the web, literally.

Advertisement
You know what? I am tired of the reputation plummet. I'll still be realistic here, but at least it optimistic realism not cynical realism. You are 13. You want to program a computer game as a hobby. You don't know any programming. You want to. Programming is not as hard when compared to using programming to program something as complex as a game. I don't know you. I have no idea if you have an aptitude for this type of thing. If you do, I would venture to say that you very well could make a 3D computer game, as long as you learned the math on your own, otherwise it would take much longer. I won't lie, its not rocket science. Vectors and transforms are indeed challenging, and are far from everything, but definitely don't require calculus unless you want to get really fancy and/or very efficient, but it is not necessary for learning. The more math skills, the better off you are. I think you could probably make one, if you were interested enough. One thing you should know, however, is that the time investment is a lot. Also, don't go advertising your age on the internet, especially on technical/programming forums. People (like the sometimes-cynical-me) may make fun of you and/or discourage you, because generally speaking, this may not include you, but kids your age aren't exactly capable on any level to do any type of programming (experience, time investment, aptitude, determination). But, hard work is not everything. A train can move at how ever many horsepower it can go to, but won't go anywhere intended or good unless it has tracks. Intelligence is the tracks. Learning how to program takes hard work and dedication. Learning how to program well takes hard work, dedication, and intelligence.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

I agree with Bacterius, in saying that it depends of what you want to make.

It is actually possible to make a nice 3D game with no direct scripting and no personal use of math by using programs which do all this for you. Keep in mind that this is in the context of a newbie wanting to make a game and I am not talking about an AAA marketed game.

Knowing how to script programming languages and using math is very helpful to increase capabilities, but there are games which can be made with little or no math by using programs.

3Ddreamer

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

It's good to build up programming experience from early age.
Start with building text-based rpg game or whatever, but before you get into 3D and all that stuff, make sure you are familiar with linear algebra and geometry.
Just knowing how to solve for X won't do. You need to know how to describe 3D models in mathematical equations, vectors and much more.
An invisible text.
right now i only know one language which is java.I did a research about the appropriate programming language but all i saw was c++.Many company requires c++. I continue using java just to know the concept of game programming and then i will switch to c++ when im done with this project.
this is my opinion only.
There are still a few companies making games and simulations (gameplay types) in java and it has a huge collection of existing libraries, many open source, so java still is an option.

3Ddreamer

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

I advise you to go with C++. you can make simple or complex games with Dark GDK and C++.
Miracrea Games

There are still a few companies making games and simulations (gameplay types) in java and it has a huge collection of existing libraries, many open source, so java still is an option.

3Ddreamer

The number of companies using Java (directly or indirectly) for games is growing actually, every single game on Google Play contains atleast some Java code (The entrypoint in an Android app has to be written in Java (Allthough some engines hide that part from you)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
I am 13 as well, and I started learning C++ when I was 11.

I think you should learn C++ first because it is a low end language and then move on to C# (a higher level language). In fact, many companies require you to know C++ even if you are knot going to use it at all. (My dad's an engineer for example, and he still needed to learn C++ even though he use only Matlab and Fortran and other engineery stuff like that.) I know you said you hate Java, but it is a very important language to learn, especially now, as it is slowly taking over the world through Android and Minecraft biggrin.png

However, if you start to think that C++ is a bit complicated (which it really can be), then I suggest Python. Python and C++ actually have a pretty good combination and you can quickly get out your ideas with Python.

P.S. Maths can be important in games, especially 3d games, but you don't need to be absolutely amazing at it; just learn the core concepts that you require like dealing with forces.
What's This?: basically, it's my blog. Click on it.
I just want to say something about the tutorials.
(Forgive me if my response is not the best because i did not read all the posts)

If you want to learn C++ and you want to have your game to be multiplatform then i seggest you
lazyfoo.net it is a very good site to learn how to make games in C++ and SDL, well explained with
great articles on good practices, also if you later want to use 3D it also have OpenGL tutorials.

If you like youtube tutorials you can search for "thecplusplusguy" videos, again C++ and SDL
great tutorials very well explained (the guy have a little uncommon accent but you won't have much
problem for that) he also have a platformer tutorial and a FPS tutorial (3D OpenGL)

I actually am very comfortable with C++ and SDL, they have exactly what i need and i feel they are
pretty easy to pick up and learn.

I hope this post help you somehow.

Good Luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement